By Ashley - 03/05/2016 04:25 - United States - San Antonio

Today, I found out why my boyfriend of 5 years won't propose/marry me. He would rather wait for his estranged wife to meet someone, fall in love, decide to get married, and do the filing herself. He doesn't want to pay the couple of hundred dollars for the uncontested divorce filing. FML
I agree, your life sucks 13 812
You deserved it 2 273

Same thing different taste

Top comments

jentrynicole 20

You didn't think it was odd that your boyfriend has been married for the 5 years you've been together and hasn't even tried to get divorced?

You have to wonder if he really loves you that much or if he's committed if such an arbitrary amount of money is stopping him from moving on...

Comments

moo77_fml 20

Tell him take a hike to loserville!!! Tight wod

If it's that important to you, you should pay... for a one way ticket out of that dead end relationship. The price? The time you'll spend finding, handling, and bagging dog poop, then leaving it on his front porch, lighting it on fire, ringing his doorbell, and running away. But wait! There's more! A free evening of wine and ice cream courtesy of your closest female friend.

Twisted_Angel 17

Thats a lame excuse. The truth is, he doesn't want to marry you. If he did, he would have filed a long time ago, and wouldn't be waiting for her to do it.

In a lot of relationships, one person is always reaching and the other one is always settling. Unfortunately he seems to be the one settling (for you). It's one thing to be reluctant to get married, it's another level entirely to be reluctant to divorce someone when you haven't been together for years.

ManicGypsy 22

Can you afford to pay for it? If I were in your situation, I'd offer to pay it for him (if I had the funds) and see what his reaction is. If he seems very hesitant, perhaps that's a sign that something else is wrong (or he just doesn't want you supporting him).

I'm sure after five years he'd have way more than enough to file a divorce. Did you know he was married this whole time?

dafluckster 6

So, maybe don't start a relationship with someone who's married? Just saying.

I started dating my current husband while I was still legally married to me ex husband. We were separated and the marriage was over in every way but on paper. The difference is that I got divorced as quickly as I could and, because he defaulted on the paperwork, it was delayed a few weeks but ultimately was done in a few months and went much faster than a contested divorce. You don't know OP's situation. For all you know, he could have been lying to get for the last five years, maybe telling her he was fighting a long, bitter divorce battle with his wife. She did, after all, day she just found out the truth. Who knows what he's been telling her, or not telling her, for the past five years. There's nothing wrong with dating someone in the process of divorce. It can take a long time and something as trivial as paperwork is no reason to move on with your life if the relationship is over.

Same here, except I've never gotten remarried. I'd been served with the separation papers, and I was just waiting for when we'd have our court date. Which he ****** up by not bringing a witness as he was supposed to. So we had another hearing two months later and it was finalized. But I've been dating my boyfriend since before our divorce was final.