By tay - 10/04/2012 11:13 - Australia

Today, I found out that my mother is extremely emotional when it comes to animal deaths when a bird flew into the window and died, and she insisted we have a funeral. FML
I agree, your life sucks 23 639
You deserved it 3 595

Same thing different taste

Top comments

DON'T STEP ON THAT ANT HILL! Seriously, you'll be having funerals for the next 30 years.

SHAMUS_the_WITTY 18

A wing and a prayer! A WING AND A PRAYER!!!

Comments

Your mum might be going through menopause. Mine is and she cries at everything.

Give her a little slap so that she can snap out of that nonsense.

I cried during marley and me. Such a sad ending. ):

Would someone like to explain why most of you would be okay with being upset over the death of a dog or a cat, but crying over the death of a bird is somehow "nonsense"?

Because birds are flying, disease-ridden vermin which spread pestilence and sin.

Don't forget the strategic dive bombings they perform. So much crap...

I cried over that comment Noor. (no, not really) :)

twisted_cherub 14

It wasn't a pet, but a random bird she'd probably never seen before. It's not healthy. That's like reading the paper and crying over everyone who dies in natural disasters, homicides, vehicular crashes, bombings, fires, bungee jumping accidents, drownings, cancer, political strife, animal attacks, hunting accidents, poisoning, and on and on and on. Death is everywhere, people. Animals die. Plants die. We die. Man up and deal.

tw416 6

Will the birds family be there too or just your mom and her cats. XD

wlddog 14

Sounds like someone has never had to kill their own dinner.

MerrikBarbarian 9

Most people haven't. I think they should though. Nice packaged portions are a fantastic tool for distancing ourselves from what we eat. I've seen older children with no idea meat is from an animal. They think a factory makes it. I personally don't eat meat (in part because I'm allergic to everything except fish), but I know where it comes from and respect that life enough to see and know any meat I buy for guests comes from humane local farms not cruel factory farms. Cooking meat you have bleed and butchered yourself is a whole different experience then buying from the store

twisted_cherub 14

When I moved out of my parents' house I didn't know how to buy meat because it wasn't in white butcher paper at the grocery store. Now my boyfriend thinks I'm sick for wanting to adopt a bull from a dairy, name him, bottle feed him, fatten him on grain, castrate him, release him into the pasture, and then (when he's grown and has ceased to be cute) eat him. Ah, reminds me of Ferdinand, my first bottle raised steak.

MissHayleyJames 7

Oh here we go with PETA factory farm nonsense again. *sigh* Misinformation is by far one of the worst epidemics.

PETA is a joke. The factory farms are true. How else do grocers and Restaurants have so much meat to please the majority of meat loving Americans?

MerrikBarbarian 9

72- ever been to a factory farm or killed an animal? I'm a farmer. I've butchered meat and killed animals. I collect skulls. Where in the hell did you get PETA from that? I'm totally fine with people eating meat. I just think people should be conscious of where food comes from, and how it gets to their table to make better choices about it. I'm for animal welfare yes, but that is a far cry from PETA. Before you go cry misinformation.. I'd suggest you read my full comment and consider which of us has better knowledge... And educate yourself. There is good and bad ways to produce meat. But hey if you like factory farms enjoy your ammonia burgers and mechanically recovered meat nuggets. :p

MissHayleyJames 7

I'm a rancher actually and know a decent bit about meat, butchering animals, and how factory farms work. I've also been lucky enough to discuss the issue with Temple Grandin when she lectured in one of my classes. Regulations in slaughter plants and factory farms are light years away from what they used to be. You probably think we should let all the little chickens roam free to hurt/kill each other and spread disease too instead of keeping them in cages. There's no point to argue with someone who believes the media though, that factory farms and slaughter houses are horrible, the animals are treated cruelly, they're filthy, etc.

RedPillSucks 31

So.... She's a vegetarian, right? Either that, or each grace at meal time becomes a full eulogy.

You can appreciate animals and still eat meat. When an animal wasn't intentionally killed I can understand the person's sorrow. But a lot of people disconnect the killing of the animal when eating meat.

MerrikBarbarian 9

I disagree. If the death of one bird saddens you, the death of a chicken who had a far less happy life should sadden you more. However you are right people disconnect meat from animals. It comes in neat portions and looks nothing like an animal. I always encourage people who eat meat to try kill and butcher their own meat at least once and really understand what they are eating so they can connect meat=animal, and hopefully stop worrying about price and being more concerned with the welfare of that animal before its dinner. Hell I've done it as a vegetarian because I have cats who eat meat. If a squirrel or pigeon or whatever accidentally hits a window or dies at my house, that animal is collected and all of it used. Meat into food, fur/wings/feet/skull become art.

RedPillSucks 31

I understand what you're saying in principle, but OPs mom gets so emotionally distraught over any animal death, I can't see how she would be able to cope with eating meat.

hateevryone 14