By Anonymous - 07/07/2009 05:46 - United States

Today, I found out that my father, who is divorced from my mother, has set up a lawsuit against her and that I am required to go to court and testify against her as a witness. I've tried to keep neutral for six years, and I'll go to jail if I don't show up. FML
I agree, your life sucks 71 543
You deserved it 3 318

Same thing different taste

Top comments

ouch. Just say you're staying neutral in the court

Despite the OP having no control over the situation, there are still YDI votes...

Comments

LuckyCharms_fml 0

You can tell the judge you're being compelled, prefer to stay neutral, and don't want to testify. In cases like this he'll realize your dad is using you and not make you testify.

I hate it when parents drag their children into their own personal matters. Yeah and listen to #4. Good luck!

It's like that cigarette commercial... just plead the 5th to everything haha.

No one gives a shit about your "neutrality!" You need to go to court and tell: The Truth, The Whole Truth, and Nothing But the Truth! You cannot consider whether the truth favors your mom or your dad, but you've got to answer the questions honestly and completely.

but remember your mom never made you stand up and testify against your dad. perhaps even mention this

thats not he point, the OP didnt want to get involved in the first place, and now hes in court on his father's side, regardless of what he says he will still legally be testifying against his mother.

That sucks!! You shouldn't have to say anything against either of them... Shame on your dad for putting you on the spot like that! Talk to him about it? Let him know you're uncomfortable? Hope U don't have to do it...

You can always add to your testimony that you don't appreciate being forced to testify against one parents. Answer the questions honestly...but you are in a powerful position as a witness. Your testimony can very favorably approach your mother.

its call pleading the 5th... u dont have to say anything to testify against ur mother... FACT NOT OPINION

umm.. no. You can't plead the fifth whenever you don't feel like answering. If that were the case there wouldn't be any witnesses at all. You can only plead the fifth when your testimony might incriminate yourself (keyword:yourself, not your mom).

Pleading the fifth also applies to testifying against your spouse. If you're legally married and your spouse is on trial, you are not required to give incriminating evidence against him/her. However, OP is not testifying against himself or his spouse, so he is required to show up and answer questions truthfully. What I would suggest, though, is that he contacts a lawyer so he knows what he is required to say in court and what he is not.

cattoe7 0

geee thats uncool.. your dad sucks for that.. i say do what #23 suggests

Show up just refuse to testify against her.... Unless you've agreed to it they can't force you to

Turnip_Girl 0

Wow, talk about bad parenting. I hope everything goes OK for you. :(