By blackedout - 06/10/2009 05:25 - Singapore

Today, I fainted on the sidewalk. When I woke up, I was still lying on the sidewalk, people were stepping over me and my purse was gone. FML
I agree, your life sucks 63 265
You deserved it 3 800

Same thing different taste

Top comments

This is the reason why I dislike major cities such as London, Paris and so on where people really could not care less about individuals.

mekeskidi_fml 0

This happens in any country except Singapore. You should go to the police, they recorded everything with street cams.

Comments

This is the reason why I dislike major cities such as London, Paris and so on where people really could not care less about individuals.

That is terrible. Although I don't think it does happen like that often in major cities.. where are you getting this generalization from?

From living in 4 major European cities in my life and witnessing what that woman described many, many times, and in most cases being the only one to pick the poor bastards up and ensure that they are OK whilst dozens of people walk near us. The best case though was when a man had a go at us (us being myself and the ragdoll woman who I believe was pregnant) for being in front of a shop, as he couldn't get in...”Yeah, I’m sorry mate, let me just roll her on the pavement a bit so you can get in...” idiots, the lot of them. ps: I am not even going to tell you the things I have witnessed when living in Bucharest (RO) as you would probably not believe me.

skybeau 0

#3 - I would assume #1 is getting this generalisation from either personal experience in cities (in my experience, people in big cities are less likely to help those in need), or a little phenomenon called "the bystander effect". In a nutshell, the bystander effect refers to the fact that, when out in public, or in large groups, people are much less likely to offer help to someone that seems to need it. Studies have been conducted comparing big cities with smaller towns, with someone lying "unconscious" on the sidewalk. In large cities, it can take hours for someone to stop and check if the person needs assistance. In smaller towns, usually the first person to go past will stop to help. I don't have the references for these studies - it's just something one of my lecturers used to crap on about. OP - I'm sorry that happened to you. Definately FYL

Exactly: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bystander_effect People simply think that somebody else will sort it out.

I've heard of that, but stepping over them, isn't that too extreme to actually happen?

txgirl09 5

#15 you totally beat me to the punch. :D

ruben7467 0

that crap happens all the time here in TEXAS. USA.

I live in Texas, in a town that has heat up to 115 degrees, and I have NEVER seen someone faint. Usually, at least from the towns I have lived in. Heat is certainly a problem though.

It surprises me more to see someone help someone and not steal their things, than it does to see people like #1. In downtown Toronto, it's common to see people sitting/lying/sleeping on the sidewalks, so unless I actually see someone fall over, I assume they're there because they want to be, not because they passed out. Another thing is if you stop to help someone and end up aggravating an injury, you're asking for a civil suit and a lot of people don't want to take that risk. But the majority are just too concerned with themselves to bother with anyone else.

lil_cig 0

#67, actually that's exactly why this law was made: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Samaritan_law You won't be held liable for aggravating an injury unless you were grossly negligent in handling the injured person. I can't speak for other countries but i know my country has it's own version of it too.

bugmenotmofo 34

Actually the OP lives in Singapore

hahaohwell 0

People would have cared if she wasn't ugly or fat. You know it's true.

mekeskidi_fml 0

This happens in any country except Singapore. You should go to the police, they recorded everything with street cams.

Yh but noticed how alot of FML have been coming from Singapore lately? :/ It's getting suspicious

Well, there are alot of people in Singapore..

Are there not supposed to be people in Singapore who know how to use the internet?

It's mentality like this that makes us Malaysians think that Singaporeans are generally douchebags.

People from Singapore are never hesitate to call police and they enjoy calling 999 ( police hot line ). One of my friend got drunk, vomit and nearly pass out on the train. A lot of people ( man, woman, boys & girls ) offer him tissue to wipe his own vomit, plastic bags to vomit some more and offer help to get outta train to station officer .. station officer called police, some policemen come and bring him to police station. He don't even remember where he was and unable to answer properly to police. So they nurse him for about 2hr .. until he recovered and then they send him back to train station to go back home.

I swear it said you farted on the side walk.. lol.

Oh wow, that really sux. Hope it isnt something serious that made you faint and that your cards and things get sorted quickly

Fuk_My_Life 0

YDI for getting out the kitchen lady

Where did you faint at? I'm from SG too. LOL. :D

Eh - Singapore may have a reputation for being a law-abiding city, but I'm sure it's hardly immune to this sort of thing. People can be pretty rotten if they think they can get away with it, no matter where you are.