By Lea - 16/03/2010 13:31 - United States

Today, I dropped my car keys down the elevator shaft at my dorm. I had parked my car at a parking meter, and now had no way to get change out of my car. It took six hours for someone to get my keys, and I now have a $75 parking ticket. FML
I agree, your life sucks 27 442
You deserved it 4 890

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Ecnassianer 0

How the hell did you drop your keys down an elevator shaft?

Then you get a report from the person who retrieved your keys and take it to court to fight the ticket. Easy!

Comments

Punkartmama 0

So, your car is the only place in the whole city to get change? C'mon, use your head!

How the hell did you drop your keys down an elevator shaft?

Man, when I was away for college, I hardly had money for food. I also didn't have a job. I literally ate peas, eggs, and beef jerky. Every once in a while, a friend would take me out for dinner. If I had gotten a parking ticket, I would have been screwed! Even now, making as much as I do, that would be a nasty inconvenience. Though you could probably scrounge up some coins from friends, I don't know that you could scrounge up enough for 6 hours. Also, some meters have time limits, so it wouldn't have mattered how many coins she got, she still would have gotten a ticket. At least some of the meters I've encountered have had that. I have no idea if the one she was at was one of those. Again, if she actually had paperwork from the maintenance person stating when she called (which would show the time she dropped the keys) and when they showed up to retrieve said keys, I think she would be ok. If she just walks in and tells the story, I doubt they would believe her. The biggest thing would be that she was unable to move to her car due to her keys being down an elevator shaft. For most things, I wouldn't fight, but this one is a legitimate excuse that I think the court would recognize.

make extra copies of keys that's what I have I never forget

Hiimhaileypotter 52

For some people (myself included, being a college student), $75 isn't something to just throw away unnecessarily. So a situation like this could definitely be a setback in someone's life. If you've got money just laying around, please mail it to me, I'll put it to good use!

amazingjane 0

I almost did the same thing! Weird!

boatkicker 4

Both my parents have, at different times, gotten out of parking tickets. It's not impossible, or even that difficult if you actually had no way to do anything about it. And $75 is a big deal for most college students, in my experience. I know it is for me. Not having that much money is why I don't have a license to begin with. The test is too expensive. Not that I'd be able to get a car anyways.... I'm rambling. Point being, not every college student has $75 sitting around.

drewrox 0

#15 the money was in the OP's car

lelanatty 0

$75 is better than not having a car at all Y'know...

you keep all of your money in the car!? last time I used a meter to park, it took change regardless of where it comes from!