By HappyBirthdayISuppose - 01/04/2013 05:03 - United States - Westminster

Today, for my birthday, the only "gift" my parents gave me was the gift of choice: I got to choose which one of them I'll be living with after their upcoming divorce. This was the first time I'd heard anything about a divorce. FML
I agree, your life sucks 40 093
You deserved it 2 365

Same thing different taste

Top comments

saucyrossi 18

Things like this are never easy... Keep your head up!

That doesn't seem fair at all! Sorry op. they should have warned you and gave you time. But to tell you on your birthday was not the best choice.

Comments

saucyrossi 18

Things like this are never easy... Keep your head up!

ElementaryEdGuy 18

It seems easy for Rachel. They both fought over which got to take her.

Edward and Jacob fought over Bella. It still sucked!

Bubbelz 25

Don't ruin the comments with shitty references, please.

That doesn't seem fair at all! Sorry op. they should have warned you and gave you time. But to tell you on your birthday was not the best choice.

It does sound really unfair and like a horrible choice in timing, but on the bright side at least they got a choice. Custody battles can really screw things up and make life more difficult for everyone involved, especially if you end up with the parent you don't like as much. They should have mentioned this at another time, but still. I'm glad they could handle that part of the divorce with less trouble. Edit: Could this possibly be an extremely screwed up April Fools prank?

olpally 32

Sorry to hear that op. try and make the best of it, seems like you got a rough road ahead of you.

I do not believe this birthday was a happy one.

* you made it through another year, try not to kill yourself;)

im_joking 11

maybe next year will be better :) chin up!

Nice of them to tell you on your birthday. Sorry OP. That really sucks.

Chucklikesbacon 12

First off, happy birthday! I'm sorry your parents didn't think about you at all! Also, they shouldn't make you choose like that! I hope it works out. And maybe, treat yourself on your birthday, even if it's not as nice as being treated.

1. Happy Birthday 2. That was more than a little ****** up on their part. This news REALLY could have waited.

Maybe they'd decided they wouldn't divorce until OP was however old she turned when she posted this. Some couples don't want to divorce until their kids are 16, so it kind of turns into a ticking time bomb situation and becomes all they can think about. Her birthday could have been the release from a horrible marriage for both her parents. Yes, I agree that it's terrible of them to have sprung this on her on her birthday, but they might have gotten so used to the idea that they didn't even imagine it would be any different for her.

None of that would make what they did any less selfish.

perdix 29

#7, on point #2, you are almost certainly right. Most parents hate each other for many years and try to stay together "for the sake of the kids" before they pull the trigger on the divorce process. Unless some urgent problem cropped up (abuse, cheating), they could have waited until after the OP's birthday to break the news.

I concur with Perdix. OP will always be reminded, on her birthday, for the rest of her life, that instead of celebrating it with her family, her parents forced her to choose between who she wants to live with.

This is really selfish of them to do this on your birthday!

Happy birthday, girl! Divorce is not an easy thing to go through, especially being the child. Just surround yourself with good friends and supportive family members.