By Why Is It Always Me - 21/02/2017 12:00 - Canada - Calgary

Today, during an interview, I was given a list of items and asked which items I would take to a deserted island. When I chose a Bible, the interviewer asked why. I replied, "So I can burn it." What I meant to say was, "So I can use it to start a fire if the trees on the island bear fruit." FML
I agree, your life sucks 5 590
You deserved it 3 199

Same thing different taste

Top comments

oreosaretoocool 18

Everyone gets nervous O.P but surely a match or lighter would have been a better answer?

Comments

TabooSushi 24

But you also don't want to chop/burn down trees that produce it. Cause then a good food source is gone.

That explanation makes even less sense. A book, even a bible, isn't exactly a never-ending source of flammable fuel. That would save the guy all of, what, a few minutes? before he'd have to resort to tree branches and actual wood for fire anyway. Unless he believes in the fires of Hell, in which case maybe I can start making the connection there... Still sacreligious.

the phrasing is awkward but basically they're saying that they would use the bible as fuel for fire instead of the trees on the island if those trees bore fruit, because they'd be a source of food. Not that it'd help much, given that a bible would probably only be good for a few minutes of burning. Also I think if I was trapped on a deserted island, sacrilege would be the least of my concerns.

You would need a fire to kill germs in water (and maybe distill sea water if there's no fresh water). It'd also be good for cooking meat and to keep warm by.

Except the OP wasn't on an island, they were answering a hypothetical question during an interview, and if I were trying to get the job, avoiding offensive or taboo subjects, such as sacrilege, would be pretty forefront in my mind. In fact, I would just avoid all religious, political or intimate subjects entirely, as advised by HR personnel and corporate harassment attorneys alike.

pinkuser626 17

Omg thank u to all that explained the fruit bearing tree part I was honestly confused y u would only need a fire if u had a fruit bearing tree ?

This doesn't even make any sense. Why would you start a fire if the trees bear fruit? What is bad about fruit, or why would a fire be beneficial? shouldn't you burn the trees if they DON'T bear fruit?

7and7is 20

What a non-clever workaround the wicked illegal question asking a persons religion.

I wouldn't worry about it. The interviewer was probably just trying work out if you were taking it because you thought religious worship was important. You've answered that either way. :)

cheshireau 26

I want to know why, exactly, did you choose or name the Bible itself instead of saying a book.

Gaernem 17

Yes! Burn the bible and all the myths.

Ireadfmlonthejohn 2

Job interview? Because bringing up the Bible in ine would be out of sorts for the interviewer.

lilchica22001 22

Wtf kind of interview question is that? And what the heck kind of job are you interviewing for in which being stranded on a deserted island may come up?

Talis99 26

Stuff like that is character-judgement and problem-solving skills questions.

What a stupid question in an interview. You should have answered "I don't know, maybe ask me something relevant to the position? Or if you want to get to know my personality how about we have a regular conversation like regular people?" Questions with no defined good answer like that and others such as "Tell me about yourself" and "What's your biggest weakness?" (when no clarification is given) are a sign that the interviewer isn't professional. So if it makes you feel better since the interviewer was clearly an amateur whoever got it would simply be lucky anyway.

It's the logic behind the decisions that matter, not the answers themselves.