By hulio88 - 07/12/2010 00:37

Today, after years of hard work, I had an interview at the highest ranking university in the world 800 miles from where I live. It snowed heavily for the last 2 days closing every road, railway, and airport causing me to miss the interview. There is no rescheduling. FML
I agree, your life sucks 35 592
You deserved it 2 705

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Why can't it be rescheduled? Shouldn't have been possible for your interviewer to make it either...

I think that's rather unlikely to be honest, and if they did tell you that then I would be having some serious words. I had an interview for Cambridge yesterday in the UK and they were incredibly accomodating to applicants that couldn't get in from even 20 miles away.

Comments

Tadeusz_fml 5

The chap mentioned airplanes. He may be flying in. He may live in western Ireland or France or Norway. And Cambridge iniversity is the best in the world, as in, top of the rankings, this year, though last year it came second to Harvard.

after years in college myself i have come to a conclusion that if your interviewer will not reschedule an appointment when it's clearly impossible to get there, like your situation then, forget them. They most likely couldn't care less about you anyways and you don't want to go, or you can complain to ombuds, or the dean, you have to be vicious with these people sometimes.

Of course British people use 'miles' to describe long distances.

They use the metric system, do they not? Only backward ass America still uses the imperial one.

we use miles as a distance and mph still sadly

notsofriendly 17

if it's that great of a place, they'd actually care about applicants. you're better off at a more compassionate school.

golfer420 0

not big enough to have a name apparently. FAKE AND GAY

soccerdude101 0
WishUponAWorld 0

Assuming the university is in the US (which is not necessarily true), this is hard to believe. When I applied to universities, I applied to some of the best in the US. None required an interview, though a few offered. Both Princeton (3 hours from me) and Yale did their interviews via alumni within your area. Harvard, Columbia, and ND didn't do an interview at all. At no point did I hear of a US university which required its applicants to travel hundreds of miles for an on-campus interview. If the university is outside the US, it's possible.... but as the Cambridge people have pointed out, skype and phone interviews are available.