By NotCollegeBound - 20/08/2015 07:21 - United States - Butler

Today, after working incredibly hard to get into college without having to take out loans, classes started. I was told we'll need a $200 piece of software, and we'll fail without it. There's no way I can afford it. FML
I agree, your life sucks 26 896
You deserved it 2 190

NotCollegeBound tells us more.

Hey guys, OP here! I did consider pirating the software but I know there's a good chance of running into buggy software if I do so, and I'd rather not have to scramble to find something else if it quits on me in the middle of a lesson. The instructor's looking to see if there are any computers on-campus that already have the software installed, but that ruins the point of taking online classes, and there's no guarantee that even if she finds some, they'll be available on the days that I can get there. It turns out I'm going to need the software again for two more classes, though I can take them both in the same semester to make it easier on myself. I can also rent it for about $20/month, which is probably going to be the option we take once we can shift some of the bills around. I'm going to need it this semester (my first) and in my third semester, so it'll help save some of the cost. On the upside, though, it means we'll be using the same textbook for all three classes, so there's a little money saved there as well. I really think that the biggest suck was not telling us beforehand, because my husband and I had the money a few weeks ago. When we discovered that it was extra money, we decided to drop our 1-year-old off at my grandparents' and take ourselves out on a long-awaited (as in, we hadn't been out since before our daughter was born) date night. If I had known that I would need that money for the software, you can guarantee that we would have saved it!

Top comments

Loans might be needed in this situation.

Don't actually listen to me I give terrible advice

Comments

A $200 loan will be an easy one to get at least!

I usually don't suggest breaking the law, but perhaps you could get a pirated copy of the software.

Well you could pirate the program online, or you could just forget about school and become an actual pirate. Decisions, decisions...

Yep, even when you're finally in... You still need a few thousand sitting around in the bank just in case some random book purchase needs to be made, or something like this.

Maybe you could borrow from someone. I'm sure a friend or relative would be willing to help you out if you explain your predicament.

Come on...you know you can get that software free online...

kellyem2 20

Check online first. Stuff like that is usually on sale elsewhere for a lot less money than what the school charges. Also check the library. If this software is used for a lot of different classes they probably have copies installed somewhere that students can use.

Hey guys, OP here! I did consider pirating the software but I know there's a good chance of running into buggy software if I do so, and I'd rather not have to scramble to find something else if it quits on me in the middle of a lesson. The instructor's looking to see if there are any computers on-campus that already have the software installed, but that ruins the point of taking online classes, and there's no guarantee that even if she finds some, they'll be available on the days that I can get there. It turns out I'm going to need the software again for two more classes, though I can take them both in the same semester to make it easier on myself. I can also rent it for about $20/month, which is probably going to be the option we take once we can shift some of the bills around. I'm going to need it this semester (my first) and in my third semester, so it'll help save some of the cost. On the upside, though, it means we'll be using the same textbook for all three classes, so there's a little money saved there as well. I really think that the biggest suck was not telling us beforehand, because my husband and I had the money a few weeks ago. When we discovered that it was extra money, we decided to drop our 1-year-old off at my grandparents' and take ourselves out on a long-awaited (as in, we hadn't been out since before our daughter was born) date night. If I had known that I would need that money for the software, you can guarantee that we would have saved it!

ironik69 31

Being totally up front and honest... You can earn $250 in the first month for donating plasma. The money tapers off a bit after the first few sessions. But I did it to get myself a car. It takes one hour of your time, two times a week. Good luck OP, with whichever.

I didn't think of that, but I'll definitely consider it. Thanks for the suggestion!

Donating plasma? Plasma TVs? :x

No, plasma as in that clear yellowy fluid that partially makes up your blood and has platelets in it.

Sorry I'm from the UK and a bit confused, surely it's then not donating? Getting paid for that sounds pretty insane (and a little bit great)

#37 - In the US, people get paid for donating blood/plasma etc. The downside is I believe it also comes onto your hospital bills when you need a transfusion. Maybe it works, but relying on goodwill isn't hugely effective anymore. Where I live (Aus) only 1 in 30 donates blood, when 1 in 3 needs it.

Sorry to hear about your fee troubles, and I hope it works out for you! There are a lot of small incidental expenses of going to college. If you have to, take the loan -- here's hoping you make it!

37, you should look it up for Britain, pretty sure you'd get paid too! I think they call it donation because it sounds better than selling (part of) your body. Your plasma is sold to pharmaceutical companies and they use it to make lots of stuff including lifesaving transfusions, certain immunisation shots and so on. OP, definitely look into it (unless you are still nursing - doing both might be too much of a drain on your body). I donated for over a year when I hit a rough spot and my income would *just* cover my fixed expenses like rent and utilities. I managed to feed myself solely from the money I made through the donations. I remember always doing my shopping on the way home from the donation center.

gczizza1997 15

What states do you live in that they pay you to donate? I am quite curious, I donate blood every chance I get and have never seen anyone offer payment for it, and I also work at a blood center as a volunteer and still have yet to see anyone get paid for donating.

Thats the most comprehensive follow up FML that I have ever read! I wish that you succeed in solving this issue. Peace

Good luck, OP. I feel you. My first semester of college ever (where my entire tuition was covered!) cost me $700 still! Books and fees add up. I'm hoping I don't need to get anything else.

Blood you can not sell but plasma you can.

You don't get paid for any sort of "bodily" donation in the UK. We have a blood, plasma, bone marrow and organ donation register and you do not get paid for it. Some companies will do blood donation drives and give a small amount of money to employees but you're talking £20 a donation if that.

OP, I am actually confused as to why you don't consider taking a $ 200 loan? It's a fairly small amount compared to what American students usually have to pay.

Good on you for attending college while being also a parent! I hope everything goes well for you! On the topic of the software, the institution is supposed to be paying for software licenses (at least where I come from). I have used pirated software, and I hate admitting it, but there's simply no chance of me paying exaggerated amounts with no income. Later on I have indeed purchased everything legally, but in my experience so far the software worked fine, be it pirated or not. It depends on the software itself as well, of course. Also, do not regret going out with your husband: that's what counts in the end, and for everything else a solution emerges eventually, as you can see for yourself! :)

jkp1291 25

I almost always end up pirating. The best thing to do is try kickass .to and then just check the comments to make sure it works.

jnugzzz 6

For whole blood yes, but plasma you can donate twice a week because they put the platelets back, so you're basically just losing some fluids and you just have to rehydrate to replenish them.

The body reproduces the plasma you donate within 24 hours. I noticed that I felt less rested the morning after donation, probably because my body had more work to do during the night, but nothing an extra coffee and a tall glass of water won't fix. Also at the place where I donated you could go three times in two weeks, but only 50 times a year. I knew people who donated at two centers run by different companies and went twice as often. They looked a little pale but where otherwise OK.

bocagrove 9

If op is still breastfeeding can't she sell her breast milk?

They return your red blood cells. It's safe.

Donors are financially compensated for their time. There is some waiting, vitals are taken, medical history questions are reviewed, phlebotomy is performed, and then the donor must stay put while the plasmapheresis takes place. People who weigh more may donate more plasma; however, it takes longer so they are compensated more as it takes longer.

Mysterious_one 26

Selling one kidney will do cover the expanses?

One on one date night with hubby sounds like it was worth some money. Everyone needs to have some time to relax every once in awhile. Good luck with your classes!

I feel like that softwear will cost OP more than just plasma should she so choose to donate it it may cost her an arm and a leg too.

I don't know about selling breast milk but there are places that take donations. I'm not even lactating yet and because of certain site I've registered for, I recieve plenty of emails advocating the "joy" of donating.

TahoeFMler 22

Donating doesn't earn you cash. Selling, will.