By NotCollegeBound - 20/08/2015 07:21 - United States - Butler

Today, after working incredibly hard to get into college without having to take out loans, classes started. I was told we'll need a $200 piece of software, and we'll fail without it. There's no way I can afford it. FML
I agree, your life sucks 26 896
You deserved it 2 190

NotCollegeBound tells us more.

Hey guys, OP here! I did consider pirating the software but I know there's a good chance of running into buggy software if I do so, and I'd rather not have to scramble to find something else if it quits on me in the middle of a lesson. The instructor's looking to see if there are any computers on-campus that already have the software installed, but that ruins the point of taking online classes, and there's no guarantee that even if she finds some, they'll be available on the days that I can get there. It turns out I'm going to need the software again for two more classes, though I can take them both in the same semester to make it easier on myself. I can also rent it for about $20/month, which is probably going to be the option we take once we can shift some of the bills around. I'm going to need it this semester (my first) and in my third semester, so it'll help save some of the cost. On the upside, though, it means we'll be using the same textbook for all three classes, so there's a little money saved there as well. I really think that the biggest suck was not telling us beforehand, because my husband and I had the money a few weeks ago. When we discovered that it was extra money, we decided to drop our 1-year-old off at my grandparents' and take ourselves out on a long-awaited (as in, we hadn't been out since before our daughter was born) date night. If I had known that I would need that money for the software, you can guarantee that we would have saved it!

Top comments

Loans might be needed in this situation.

Don't actually listen to me I give terrible advice

Comments

Yeah, I'm definitely jealous that OP didn't have to take out any loans. I leave for college Monday, and I already know I'm gonna be ****** up the ass with loans over the next 5-7 years..

akkitty 2

In between all that working I hope you were filling out scholarship and financial aid applications. Work smart, then hard.

Drop the course and get your money back

It's only 200$. go on patreon or kickstarter or something similar. you should have it by the end of next week :)

paravoz 30

Software? Just grab it off line and buy it when you have the cash.

And this is why I'm glad Scotland has free tuition

Start up a "Go Fund Me" page and collect donations!!! Lol.