By moneybenny - 07/06/2014 10:17 - Australia - Richmond

Today, a guy I had been casually seeing asked me to dinner. Thinking he could be wanting to make things serious, I got all dressed up. Turns out he got a girlfriend and just wanted to tell me in person to avoid things being awkward. We then waited in silence for our meal. FML
I agree, your life sucks 46 371
You deserved it 5 054

moneybenny tells us more.

And to anyone saying I could have left... He picked me up in his car and drove me to the place. The car ride home was equally fun.

Top comments

whiskeey 14

Well good thing it wasn't awkward or anything right?

You didn't have to wait in silence with him, you could have just left...

Comments

"wanted to tell you in person to avoid things getting awkward." I wonder what was going on in his mind when this brilliant thought occurred to him.

Maybe his thinking was that attempts to set boundaries in the past resulted in hysterics. In that case, when such a conversation is necessary, you do it in public to keep the histrionics to a minimum.

Ignore my other post. Turns out the guy was the ass here. I apologize.

I think he thought she deserved to hear the truth in person and didn't want to make light of their relationship by just saying it and leaving. I understand he was trying to be sweet, and I give him points for trying, but in hindsight it would've been better for him to just met her at a bar/cafe, say his piece and then leave for both their sakes. I bet he's wishing he did it that way now.

And to anyone saying I could have left... He picked me up in his car and drove me to the place. The car ride home was equally fun.

I still would have left and called a cab or a friend to pick me up. You have really good self control OP, especially to sit through the rest of the date with that guy. I could imagine he didn't pay for your meal either, shoulda stuck him with the bill!

There was no reason to stay. You could have called a cab or a friend. It would even have been reasonable to ask that he pay your cab fare home.

nitrog100 21

That's an unfortunate mistake on his part. The last time I got dumped, I saw it it coming, because she wanted to go on a short hike, and we took separate cars.

Hopefully like most people, he's on social media. Find him, find girlfriend, warn her he's a slimy creep. Although, she may shoot the messenger.

Realised from the other update I got it wrong, and he got a girlfriend while seeing you, rather than two timing it seems. Anyway, it's easy to say you should've left, but sometimes in the moment, the obvious isn't so easy!

badluckalex 23

extremely irrelevant but the author is very attractive

Sorry to hear this OP. Sometimes as men we can be super ignorant, but to be honest, it seems like you dodged a bullet on this one. His approach was low brow, and showed you no respect nor any respect for his new girlfriend. I'm pretty certain you can do way better than that.

ALDJ 4

That sucks. bahaha. Too bad you are pretty too...

Dodged a bullet because he told her honestly that he had met someone and didn't want to go out with her anymore? Damn us slimeball men for our honesty

108; My thoughts exactly. I don't understand what makes him so bad for respecting her enough to tell her in person rather than over a text or whatever. It sounds like people think he's rude for not doing what OP expected, when no one is obligated to date someone they don't particularly "click" with, and not necessarily for telling her over dinner.

Wow! You are very pretty, OP. I would definitely date you! ^_^

What a douche. You deserve better, don't beat yourself up about it.

CommanderWoof 10

I don't see how he didn't show any/enough respect. All he did was poorly plan their final date.

I think his method was fine. Instead of leaving her wondering her told straight up. He even wanted to have one more meal with her. I've done the same thing he did when I was seeing different guys. I want in a relationship with either guy, but when I made my choice I told the other guy in person and everything was cool. Maybe this is the type of thing that made him choose someone else?

I don't think there is any need to comment on my personality (which you don't know) as an explanation as to why he chose someone else over me. Super unnecessary! Thanks for reading and commenting :)

That's FML for you. You posted and people commented, you updated and people continued to give their advice in the form of comments. Don't take it personally, nobody here knows you and you should not feel bad because of their responses. Yes, I know, that's easier said than done. Good luck on the next guy.

Lol aw man :/. Well you're very beautiful so you should have no problem finding someone else lmao.

"Hey (server's name), can I get that to go? Thanks." *waits at bar for cab/friend*

At least he had the decency to tell you in person. Sure it's awkward but way more polite than a text or anything as bad as some of the past FMLs

I agree. I don't understand the people saying he's an ass. It was a "casual relationship" and therefore not serious, and he thought highly enough of her and wanted to respect her by saying it in person. Imagine how uncomfortable it was for him too! Nobody likes to hurt someone's feelings, and there never is a good or nice way to dump someone. As far as breakups go, this was pretty sweet.

I was really kind of surprised at how many people were so quick to call him a douchebag or a jerk... Sure, it sucks that he broke up with her, and it's disappointing that it wasn't a "let's be more serious" dinner date, but I do appreciate his sincerity and respect for her to tell her in person. Next time, maybe he'll realize that over dinner isn't the best time or place, and maybe meet her at her house or at a park or something, so no one feels obligated to stay with awkward company. In any case, I'm sorry it didn't work out, OP. You'll find someone, maybe when you aren't even looking. Good luck :3

u should have left not grab dinner with him

Sorry, but this isn't an FML. This is a situation that was awkward. He wanted to tell you in person and you assumed it was something else. I am wondering just how many assumptions you had made along the way. As he had the decency not only to tell you in person, but to make it more than a hurried "I'm outta here", it doesn't sound like he used you. I'm guessing this was an FWB thing that you simply read too much into. I suspect he has attempted to communicate this previously with little success.

Although I can see how you would assume this from the short nature of the FML not giving the full story, when I wrote "casually seeing" I meant it to be read as we had been having sex for a few months, he had been the one pursuing me, bringing me pastries for breakfast on a whim, etc. But I couldn't fit all that in the character limit lol! It's no harm done and I'm fine obviously, just an awkward, embarrassing moment that I believed completely valid to share with the FML community! Thanks for your comment :)

I totally change my response. He was pursuing you and then did this? And you handled it this well? Sounds like this guy is on a pawer trip and missed out on someone special. I can't delete my other posts, so please ignore them. I hope you find someone who deserves you.

Ok just a quick clarification for all! Although some nasty commenters on here would like to assume the worst about us ladies, that is not the case here. I'm certainly not a weepy, clingy girl, hence why I found the humour in the situation and was able to post it and laugh about it with you all! To give more context the character limit doesn't allow: we had been having sex! For a while. In fact, it only started after a long, loooong courting on his behalf from taking me out for drinks, buying me things, inviting me to his house to meet his friends, things like that. Of course these things happen and I really don't mind at all - there are no hard feelings! However at the time it was super awkward and being a mild mannered person I had no idea what to do in the situation - I'm certainly not the type to cause a scene or be mad at someone for finding happiness, but I also had no idea what to say to this guy who had kind of broken up with me before we even dated! Anyway, thanks to all those who read and also saw the funniness in the FML and commented with kindness. :)

Some of us guys can recognize when we're wrong. You've got class and I wish you all the best.

Last time I got dumped girl left note in my house after taking all her stuff and few things that were not her (nothing of value). So being told over civilized dinner is not bad.

1dvs_bstd 41

on the plus side, you're very beautiful.. so you got that going for you, which is nice.

While he got down voted for it, I want to say that I agree, you're so pretty (gosh, I sound like a kid crushing for the first time :/) That and you seem like a down-to-earth, easygoing gal, so while it didn't work with that guy, I'm sure you'll find your man one day :)

I know I'm gonna be down voted but you kind of deserve it. If you weren't dating you shouldn't have been having sex with him.

I'm sorry but being 20 years old, I'm a little past the stage where you don't kiss someone until they officially say "will you please be my girlfriend now?" Dating is sort of like that, you don't really know where you're at with someone! So if you personally would choose to always abstain unless you have sat down and had a long talk about what your relationship specifically is with someone (because what turns people on more than a serious discussion?) then that is your choice but I'm a big girl and I think what I do with my ****** is honestly my business, and doesn't mean I deserve any negativity :)

93- as a society we look down on other people who dont make the same sexual choices as us. thats why we **** shame. none of us have the right to judge another person as to what they do with their body. you wanna have sex with one person? great! you wanna have sex with 50? awesome! its their choice, not yours. dont judge her for what she does. who are you, her mother? and good for you op!

MzZombicidal 36

#111 I love that you're all for supporting people for doing what they want with their bodies (which I support), but the very beginning of your bio says "girls put your damn **** away. learn to respect yourselves." How about you take a page from your own book?

mzzombicidal, you do make an excellent point there. maybe ill take it off my page. people make mistakes

you look adorable. you'll find someone soon. who cares anyway, strong women don't need men right? good luck in your ventures. :)

You should have waited for the meal, then dumped both plates on him and left.

What is it going to accomplish? You would just make a mess for a waiter/waitress to clean. The guy tried to be a decent human being by telling her in person.

Why is everyone commenting mean stuff that should've been done to the guy? He just found a girlfriend and didn't want to break up without a goodbye, so he went out for the last time with OP, telling her in person, not through a text. The only real FML part of the FML was that there was an awkward silence.