By ChessNut - 27/11/2018 12:00

Today, a girl I'd been crushing on for a little while and I were talking about autism. Some of the last words she said were "I try to not find autistic people so fucking annoying, but I can't help it. But can you blame me?” I'm autistic. FML
I agree, your life sucks 3 333
You deserved it 353

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I hope you shamed the idiot. Autism isn't something you can control, like being stupid. Stupid people are the real nuisance. Tell her Einstein was autistic, tell her you're autistic, and then tell her she may look nice on the outside, but she's ugly as **** on the inside, then walk away like she doesn't exist.

Well at least now you know her true colors. I'm a bi, rather gender-indifferent person. And let me tell you, there is a whole cemetery of crushes in the backyard of my soul - crushes that have died horrible deaths because of some off-hand sexist, racist, ****- or transphobic remark. It sucks, because obviously you saw something in that person. And even though they mostly speak out of ignorance, not out of malicious intent, it still hurts. Maybe she'd think about it again or even change her mind if she knew about your autism, I can't tell, but just know that you don't have to make yourself the lab rat on which she can test her levels of tolerance. There's tons of other people - especially as you get older - who will like you just fine for who you are. Good luck.

Comments

"I try not to find bitches so ******* annoying, but sometimes, I just can't help it, can you blame me?"

A crush is just a crush - You admire or even lust after a person but you do not really know them that well. When you get to know some people better you discover they are not the person you thought they were or may discover they are just not into you. It’s a bitch to be disappointed at that phase, but better than pretending to be someone you are not or discovering further along in a relationship that’s it’s just not going to work.

weaboo 12

Yeah but it really depends on which part of the spectrum you’re on. Until 6th grade I was in a school which took pride in hosting the lowest-functioning kids with autism in the city. I must say, it really is weird trying to communicate with people who cannot communicate, and it was kind of annoying to get assigned to “take care” of them (spend recess with them and things like that). They had about the same communication skill as a baby and if you don’t know what you’re doing things like avoiding them turn into just pitying\feeling sad for them and then it’s just subconsciously hating them. On the other hand, starting from 7th grade I was in a school with the high functioning kids with autism and you just kinda ignore it because they are just people who are a little different (unlike the first example where they were like little kids) but to this day when someone says that they or someone else is an autist I think they mean they cannot talk or socialize at all but you just gotta explain that you are not that

She’s just ignorant. And obviously intolerant. Many people hear the word autistic and assume that the person is the type that can’t communicate well, or is drastically different than so-called “normal” people. Like another person said, autism is so broad, that you may meet many people in a day who are autistic on some level but you’d never know it because it affects them in a non-social way, or they have learned to manage the way it affects them. Many geniuses are autistic, and those in their lives are privileged to know them. I hope you weren’t too invested in her, and can heal and find someone who complements you.

Its better you find out from the start. We would all be better off being honest about our biases and then trying to be civil about it. If we aknowlage a bias exists we can work around it, rather than trying to hide it and just being hateful instead.

When I was on high school I had two classmates who had asperger and I thought they were really ****** annoying. I hated them because they kept bothering me most of the time and I couldn't do the same to them because one of them would get nervous, angry and start fighting anyone.

handaut 0

Proud mama of two autistic children here ... I know it's hard to socialise when you're on the spectrum, and it's probaly cold comfort to know that she's a shallow douchebag. Don't give up.