By shouldbehappyiguess - 11/07/2013 06:20 - United States - Saint Cloud

Today, a coworker complimented me on losing weight, and said that she wished she could drop a few pounds too. I was too embarrassed to tell her that the only reason I've lost weight is because I haven't been able to afford to eat. FML
I agree, your life sucks 61 084
You deserved it 3 911

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Uhh well, at least you're getting something positive out of it! No, not eating isn't healthy at all and I do hope you'll be able to buy food soon, if not, stay over at friends or family.

Wizardo 33

Well its a trade off, you're broke but your belt isn't. I hope your economic situation lightens up too OP.

Comments

allyrn13 12

That's why I never compliment people on weight loss unless they bring it up first...sometimes a comment you think is nice can be insidious such as OP. Like on the flip coin when you ask if a person is pregnant and they are just fat. Best not to say anything at all unless the person mentions they have been actively trying to lose weight.

That's a good rule to live by. I've recently lost weight and the only reason is because of the meds I'm on. I hate it when people think that I'm deliberately starving myself when I'm not.

SkyGuy32 17

#75, if you act like it was intentional, people will think you are dedicated to it. If you act proud, people will think it's something to be proud of. :)

SrakaSrakasta 20

You know what sucks the most about this? The fact that you can't afford to eat even tho you HAVE a job. Where the hell is this world going to

When life gives you lemons, you make lemonade out of them...

RedPillSucks 31

She doesn't have enough money to buy the leamons

It never hurts to lay off the "extra crispy" now and then. Maybe make some changes to your budget? You have a job, some food should be fairly high on the priority list.

Probably not as high as a roof over their head though, and sadly rent and unexpected bills (such as broken appliances, car trouble etc.) can easily wipe out your wages and leave you living on toast.

something tells me you should spend money on more food rather than the internet connection required to make this post...

MerrikBarbarian 9

Or op is using a public connection like a library? Or it's included with their rent and not optional? Lots of possibilities.

Time to rework your budget and maybe get a second job

If you have car wash products you could always ask around your area if people want their cars washed to earn some extra cash? Thats why i used to do.

MerrikBarbarian 9

Beans and rice. If you buy them bulk a couple bucks worth will make meals for a month or two. Just add some canned tomatoes and chili powder and whatever veggies you can afford- sprinkle some cheese on it if you can spring for some. That kept me fed living way below the poverty line.

graceinsheepwear 33

And for those who don't know, people always say beans AND rice because together they form a complete protein, like meat.

MerrikBarbarian 9

Also to add to my cheap healthy eating- Food Not Bombs has branches in many urban centers and offers free meals and often free food to those who need it. Producing your own food if possible also makes for cheap eating. A couple hens for eggs, a small garden... You can produce most of the veggies and eggs you need. Chickens can eat your table scraps too so you need to buy less feed... But even there... Feed is cheap. A $15 bag does me most of a month and I have lots of eggs... Enough for me and to sell some... Which at $4 a dozen pays for the feed. Many markets have a discount section or will even give away expired or expiring foods. They won't keep more than a week tops unless you freeze them but I get all kinds of free and cheap food this way. I have $25 or less a week for food and I survive just fine by utilizing these things.

How the hell does OP deserve it? There could be many reasonable explanations as to why this has happened to them without it being their fault in the first place. Some days I feel like back handing trolls with my wishful thinking and terrifying keyboard hammer of typed out action phrases! Hang in there OP, I am sure you will get through this obstacle. :)