The truth will out

By Anonymous - 04/06/2019 22:00

Today, despite all my begging for him to at least be civil, my son started his eulogy at his dad's funeral with the words, “Let me tell you a few things about the bastard in the coffin over there.” It only got worse. FML
I agree, your life sucks 2 438
You deserved it 689

Same thing different taste

Top comments

If your son was willing to give the eulogy, and you were willing to let him knowing he wouldn't be civil...how much did the people who DIDN'T give the eulogy hate him?

The funeral isn't for the dead person, they're dead and don't care one way or the other. The funeral is for the family to have closure. If this is the way your son gains closure for having a shitty father, why are you defending a dead person who didn't do enough in life to deserve his son's respect?

Comments

If your son was willing to give the eulogy, and you were willing to let him knowing he wouldn't be civil...how much did the people who DIDN'T give the eulogy hate him?

Charlie Coffman_1920149595 18

was the audience...... dead silent?

To be fair, just cause someone died doesn’t make them saints! At the same time it’s not a bashing party either

Mungolikecandy 19

It sounds a bit like there was bad blood between father and son, if he had anecdotes to support this there may be a reason he disliked him. You could of course have not let him give the eulogy.

The funeral isn't for the dead person, they're dead and don't care one way or the other. The funeral is for the family to have closure. If this is the way your son gains closure for having a shitty father, why are you defending a dead person who didn't do enough in life to deserve his son's respect?

why are you assuming the father was shitty? could just as easily be a shitty son who's unable bro show restraint in a situation that calls for it. he didn't have to deliver the eulogy.

tounces7 27

If the son is shitty, then it's still on the father for how he raised him.

People develop their own personalities. Some of the nicest people I know came from the most unpleasant people for parents. It can be reversed too. People need to take responsibility for themselves.

Mayaaaaaaaaa 12

If you knew he might possibly be this way during his eulogy, why did you let him give one? Clearly if you had to beg him to be civil to his own father then you probably knew their relationship was not a positive one. Sorry for your loss, OP.

How old is your son? Perhaps his father is a bastard and deserves a 'horrible' eulogy...

Plot twist: the kid is five years old, and he had the audience in stitches! Think the Jonah Hill character at Benihana’s on SNL.

if he was a bastard in life you shouldn't sugarcoat it in death

tounces7 27

If he hated the man that much he was willing to speak badly of him at his funeral, I'm guessing he deserved it.