Thanks for the input

By SBCR - 07/12/2012 06:01 - United States - Ankeny

Today, my best friend announced she was getting married. I've always wanted to be a bridesmaid but she then added, "You can't be in the bridal party because you don't have the same body type as the other bridesmaids. But you can still come to the bachelorette party!" FML
I agree, your life sucks 35 532
You deserved it 3 002

Same thing different taste

Top comments

And you call her your "best" friend? **** her.

That truly sucks. Go and be polite, but don't invite her when you get married.

Comments

It looks like this friendship is a little bit one sided innit?

perdix 29

As unkind as it was how she put it, the bride-to-be is totally right. If they are all fat, farm girls with cankles and you are built like a **** star, you'll stick out like a sore thumb in the pictures and on the altar. The bride doesn't need anyone to draw attention away from her on her special day. This would be a minor annoyance if your difference is the ****-star body, but it is a major FYL if you're the fat, farm girl with cankles.

Because people's lives are royally f-cked if they aren't stereotypically attractive, or they can just brush off hurtful things if they look like **** stars...

I think the bride has the right of this. If all other friends have the exact same body type and one friend is morbidly obese... well, maybe this isn't just about having a collection of Barbie bridesmaids, but also about saving the fat friend the embarrassment of being put in the same dress as the **** star types to be showcased in front of all the guests. Maybe she doesn't want OP to be that one bridesmaid sticking out in every picture and getting made fun of by everyone who sees the pictures. And even if the bride chose her bridesmaids purely on looks and not based on friendship (even if that is effing shallow), it's her choice and it's not OP's place to force herself into the bridal party or throw a bitchfit because she wasn't chosen. The fact that the bride did invite her to the bachelorette party says that she thinks OP is a fun person and a friend, now it's up to OP to decide if she wants to be friend with someone who supposedly values looks that highly.

naughtylez82 4

She didn't mean to come off as she did I'm sure. Did you tell her that her statement bothered you?

I agree. OP may not be telling it in the exact words used despite the quotation marks. Not to mention if you don't say anything to stand up for yourself, the other person may never know how their words or actions affect you.

Some best friend....Sounds like you should get a new best friend.

That's quite the best friend you got there

nicnpeachy 11

I don't know how you look but she is probably jealous and fears that you will take all her attention.

Just rude . I wouldn't care if all my other friends looked like super models ... My BEST friend could be a whale out the ocean for the day !! She would be in my wedding ...... If that one "special day" is worth a true friendship .... It isn't a BEST relationship . So so rude !

ripjohnlennon 5

That's bullshit. There always has to be one fat bridesmaid.