Take a hike

By bummed - 14/04/2014 01:57

Today, my family and I went on a hike to a local abandoned gold mine, with the hopes of being able to explore the caves. What we didn't expect was four miles of treacherous, rocky, near vertical trails that led to the mine. Once we finally got there, exhausted, it was blocked off for safety reasons. FML
I agree, your life sucks 35 841
You deserved it 12 370

Same thing different taste

Top comments

davidisbeast 12

I didn't realize people actually thought they would leave a gold mine open. It's dangerous enough as it is when people work there. Why would it be any different decades later?

Comments

Geometric 18

In the region of NZ where I live, there are many gold mines, and parts of them have been opened to the public, but only after they have been determined to be safe. It's really cool to walk past the old machinery and through the tunnels and see the remnants of days past. :)

of course it would be blocked off for safety reasons

Sometimes on rare occasions it really pays to do your homework first.

#34: Actually that's most of the time when you're an adult.

Indianboy9321 25

Better to hit rock bottom emotionally, rather than physically!

11shareef 4

I really feel some pre travel research could have avoided this.

Gold mines are extremely dangerous, even when it's in use by workers they are still endangering their life despite all the safety precautions they use. Now you come along, with no experience, no safety equipment, and you think you can "explore"? You should be grateful the mine was blocked off, they probably saved your, and your family's life, when you were forced to turn back.

How do you know that the OP's entire family are not experienced cavers with all the safety equipment?

Experienced cavers usually don't complain about hikes and do extensive research on the caves they need to visit. Spelunking often requires special permits and equipment.

Goblin182 26

OP sounds like the kind of people that would enter a place like this, then when some one got hurt or killed would want ot sue hte former mine owners.

You would think "abandoned" and "gold mine" would tell you that it was closed. However the sign should be at the entrance of the trails leading down.. YDI and FYL OP.