Take a hike

By bummed - 14/04/2014 01:57

Today, my family and I went on a hike to a local abandoned gold mine, with the hopes of being able to explore the caves. What we didn't expect was four miles of treacherous, rocky, near vertical trails that led to the mine. Once we finally got there, exhausted, it was blocked off for safety reasons. FML
I agree, your life sucks 35 838
You deserved it 12 369

Same thing different taste

Top comments

davidisbeast 12

I didn't realize people actually thought they would leave a gold mine open. It's dangerous enough as it is when people work there. Why would it be any different decades later?

Comments

davidisbeast 12

You never know gold is in the mine!!

The trip down was fine. Just follow the same path down memory lane.

You probably should have checked first. Never hurts to make sure that your trip works out well.

Redoxx_fml 22

Some Chinese philosophers would argue it's the journey and not the destination that matters more

I feel your pain.... The people who were running the blocked off site should have posted some signs further down the path to avoid this!

But that would make too much sense

askullnamedbilly 33

Why? It's not a tourist attraction, it's a dangerous, closed-off remnant of the mining industry. I am absolutely certain that no one advertised it as a fun place to visit and go explore, since it's too big a safety issue to let inexperienced people play around in mine shafts. The company in charge does have to make sure the site is properly closed off to keep people from getting in and hurting themselves, but they absolutely do not have to put up signs for the ones who lack the common sense to understand that big holes in the ground are incredibly dangerous without safety equipment and an experienced guide.

I bet the trip back was even better than the first

I agree, did you start this hike, not expecting to have to hike? Old mines are usually built into mountains or hillsides I believe, equalling steep climbs. I think nearly every abandoned mine is sealed off too, it's either safe and people are still mining it, or it ran dry, got abandoned and fell into disrepair. Anyway, live a little, if there weren't guards or cameras, what was stopping you from going in? It's comparably as dangerous as any other cave you're unfamiliar with.

olpally 32

That's pretty awful. :/ ugh. Hope you had water and stuff to last the entire hike.

I didn't realize people actually thought they would leave a gold mine open. It's dangerous enough as it is when people work there. Why would it be any different decades later?

Abandoned mines can have poisonous gas, unstable ceilings and sides, venomous creatures, etc. It's good the mine was blocked off, or we'd probably never see OP again.