Succession

By Greatgrandpa - 30/11/2014 17:29 - Curacao

Today, my only child introduced his new girlfriend to me. He is 36 and has no children. She is 46 and has a pregnant daughter who she is very close with. I don't know if I'll ever be a grandfather, but in any case, my son is going to be one before me. FML
I agree, your life sucks 33 095
You deserved it 2 861

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I'm sorry.. Maybe you'll still get viewed as a grandpa :) However things go, good luck!

Comments

situation seems complicated for you, have a talk with your son that might be helpful

That's awkward for you but it's more important that he's happy and has found someone who loves him.

ordon 14

Maybe your son doesn't plan on ever having children. If that's the case, respect his choice. He isn't obligated to have children just you can be a grandpa.

So if he made his girlfriend pregnent, would his kid then be younger than his grandchild? :/

FFS... It's adoptive grandchild. You're mixing biology and sociology here.

imagineapc 11

Unless OP legally adopts the new baby, it will be a step-great-grandchild...you're not right either #21.

Time will tell...but in a way you will have a grandchild

This is something that annoys me so much. Parents who pressure their children by making it clear they have an expectation to be a grandparent. A grandchild is a blessing and a bonus to having a child, NOT a right. Fair enough having a child was the right choice for them, and probably their proudest achievement, but that doesn't make it right for everyone. Yes, it's far more common to have children than not, but some of us have zero desire to be a parent. I know plenty of people would think i'm weird or crazy etc but i have no maternal feelings at all, in fact i hate children, having one would be a burden to me not a blessing, maybe your son feels the same.

I feel the exact same way about children as you do. Luckily, even though I'm an only child, my dad doesn't seem to care.

Word. As soon as anyone in my family hints or prods I shut them right the **** down. My parents are well aware that they're going to have to get their child-fix elsewhere. Are they happy about it? Irrelevant. My body.

Not suggesting that you do, but have you ever seen Jerry Springer? Now, if OP was the father of the son's future grandchild...

agsilver 14

I think I have a problem. I saw "...daughter who" as "...doctor who"

sylverdrag_fml 9

Look at the bright side. He has someone in his life and feels confident about to introduce her to you. It's a joyous occasion, not a FML.