Scheiße!

By Xerfox - 03/07/2016 18:05 - Germany - Löwenstein

Today, I found out the German I've been learning for nearly a month is a dialect only spoken by people in a small area of the country. This means I'll need to re-learn most of what I thought I knew. FML
I agree, your life sucks 13 494
You deserved it 1 973

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Maybe only ever visit a small area of Germany?

cornwallus24 8

Germans will help you.They probably know better English than you.

Comments

Since your signature says BW... yeeeah that's pretty shitty. Southern/bavarian german is probably one of the heaviest dialects you will find. But at least the grammar is mostly the same? ;)

CallMeWindSock 24

Still, domestically, Bayrisch/Schwäbisch are some of the most unique and difficult to learn/understand dialects in the German language.

and then theres swiss german... which is a german dialect but has in itself another 20-something dialects xD

If its badisch it's fine. but schwäbisch oh god.

Did you learn Low German by any chance? Never go that route.

Why don't you just go to Germany and demand that they learn your language?

Er, if you're paying attention, OP is already in Germany.

thunderniron 22

Yep there's high German and low German. Low German is almost a lost language now.

Ach, schade! As long as you try, the Germans will be happy to help you, OP.

Even with complete immersion, a month isn't all that much time to spend learning a language. I took over six years of classes before I felt comfortable holding a conversation in another language, so I can only imagine how long it takes to become truly fluent. I'm sure it's frustrating, but unless you're a savant or insanely gifted, there's probably not all that much to be relearning, especially considering the effort that needs to be put into becoming fluent in a second language.

at least they'll think you're a native

What part of Germany is it spoken in?