Keys, how do they work?

By Anonymous - 19/10/2020 01:56

Today, I had to call a locksmith because I got locked out of my apartment. It cost a total of $350 to break in and repair the lock. Not even 3 hours later, I dropped my only key in the sewer. FML
I agree, your life sucks 958
You deserved it 806

Same thing different taste

Top comments

OP, anyone can make a mistake once like losing your keys and getting locked out of your home. It takes a special person to do that twice in one day. Are you prone to things like this or was this just a really bad, one of a kind day?

tounces7 27

Apartment? Why not just get the apartment office to let you in? They keep spares to all the apartments.

Comments

It's going to cost more to get the lock re-keyed and have several spares. With your clumsiness, the locksmith will be eating steak for a while!

OP, anyone can make a mistake once like losing your keys and getting locked out of your home. It takes a special person to do that twice in one day. Are you prone to things like this or was this just a really bad, one of a kind day?

tounces7 27

Apartment? Why not just get the apartment office to let you in? They keep spares to all the apartments.

Not sure what country OP is from, but here in Aus we don't usually have apartment offices or equivalent that can let us in if we forget our keys. Even when renting there's no requirement for the agent to have a spare set. I just always make sure I have a spare key safely tucked away for such an occasion.

tounces7 27

That's really weird. Because if the tenant leaves and doesn't drop off the keys, they're gonna have to break in.....

Yeah I see that. I think it's kinda just an honesty system. Because once your tenancy ends, if you don't return the key the landlord will just change the lock (its tax deductible and can be simple enough to do yourself) so then the ex-tenant is stuck with a now useless key. So there's not much point in not returning the key aside from some inconvenience to the landlord.

Win 9

Wow, sorry OP. It’s like one of those days where nothing seems to be going right. It happens to us all, but it’s never a good feeling. Hope it was figured out at a lower cost, or a different solution! :/

you could have saved by breaking in and replacing the knob.

Just replace the lock yourself. It’s literally two screws.