It's not a phase, Mom!

By worried mama - 31/12/2023 14:00 - United States - Richmond

Today, my daughter, who is going through a vegan phase, pulled the plug for our garage chest freezer, where we store our meat. That's $1200 of meat, rotten. My husband is so mad that he's been at the gym for six hours straight. FML
I agree, your life sucks 848
You deserved it 154

Same thing different taste

Top comments

It's perfectly fine to choose to be vegan, carnivorous, or omnivorous or any other lifestyle you can afford. It just makes people hate you though, when you try to force others to be your preference... Mom, I think husband was very wise to bug out - I would be furious too! I would also say that it was a major failure somewhere that daughter thought it would be acceptable to do something like this! She needs to repay the family for the loss she caused and until that is completed, I'd say she was grounded and lost all privileges including the use of anything electronic except for school work while being supervised.

Sounds like if she has a job her pay cheques are getting garnished until she pays that $1200 is paid back, and if she doesn't, no gifts until the cost is made back. It's fine to make your own meal choices, even as a kid, but you leave other peoples' alone.

Comments

Sounds like if she has a job her pay cheques are getting garnished until she pays that $1200 is paid back, and if she doesn't, no gifts until the cost is made back. It's fine to make your own meal choices, even as a kid, but you leave other peoples' alone.

It's perfectly fine to choose to be vegan, carnivorous, or omnivorous or any other lifestyle you can afford. It just makes people hate you though, when you try to force others to be your preference... Mom, I think husband was very wise to bug out - I would be furious too! I would also say that it was a major failure somewhere that daughter thought it would be acceptable to do something like this! She needs to repay the family for the loss she caused and until that is completed, I'd say she was grounded and lost all privileges including the use of anything electronic except for school work while being supervised.

Take it as an opportunity to teach her not to be a terrible person. Tell her that you could, if you wanted to, take any of her hobbies or preferences, and come up with some reasoning to decide that it's immoral. And ask how she would feel if you then decided to destroy thousands of dollars worth of her possessions related to those hobbies or preferences. It's good to have beliefs and principles. Veganism is a fine choice. Ethical, healthy, and good for the planet. And an argument can even be made that eating meat is morally questionable. But the correct approach is to try to convince others of that, reasonably and without forcing it on them, and be willing to respect the decision they make. The same approach I'm sure she would want someone to take if they wanted to convince her of something. In the end, she's a kid and this was a misguided but probably not malicious act, albeit a very expensive one. Do teach her that it's unacceptable, that people won't tolerate that kind of behavior, and shouldn't be expected to, but try not to be too harsh or react with too much aggression. Put the fire out, don't pour fuel on it.

Tell her nobody likes militant vegans, and she must reimburse for all of the food she wasted.

I hope Dad never came home, or "Alice" went to the Moon.

While her choice to be vegan is awesome, her action was criminal and inexcusable. she needs to be grounded and if she's old enough to work she has to pay it back ( part of her check until paid off) . She's gonna get in trouble if she thinks her actions are justifiable, especially if she does something to other people. On a side note simply tell her that because of her all of those animals have now died in vain.

If she wants to be vegan, that's fine. But she should NOT force her lifestyle on others. What she did was very wrong, and she should have to pay for it. How old is she? Does she get an allowance? If so, that money should stay in your pocket until the entire value of the ruined meat is paid back in full. If she has a job, then at least part of her paycheck needs to go to you for compensation. Somehow, some way, you need to be reimbursed for her asinine action.