Express yourself

By Anonymous - 13/08/2022 12:00

Today, I got home and found my babysitter furious and my 5 year-old exhausted from crying. Normally he chooses to wear Disney princess dresses but today his grandma came for a visit, saw what he was wearing, told him he was bad, and forced him to wear trousers. I’m ready to kill the bitch. FML
I agree, your life sucks 1 045
You deserved it 597

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Michael Sawyer 11

I usually agree with what you post Richard but not this time. If parents would stop forcing children to adhere to societal norms and just let the kids be who they are and teach their children to accept people for who they are, not what they wear. there would be far less violence when they get to their teen years

Michael Sawyer 11

your mom or mother's mom? It is not right either way to force a child to wear certain clothing. especially at 5 years old. I would be sitting down with her and telling her that if she keeps doing what she is doing she will no longer have contact with the child until she learns to stay in her lane. As for the other two donkeys that have posted don't let "societal norms" dictate how you raise your child. Goodluck.

Comments

That's sad for today, but it probably saved your kid from many playground beatings going forward.

Michael Sawyer 11

I usually agree with what you post Richard but not this time. If parents would stop forcing children to adhere to societal norms and just let the kids be who they are and teach their children to accept people for who they are, not what they wear. there would be far less violence when they get to their teen years

As open minded as kids are these days, I don’t think dressing up like a Disney Princess is going to be much of an issue in a lot of America. My son has gone to school with painted nails and no one bats an eye (he does it because his sister gets hers painted and he doesn’t want to feel left out.)

I'm not saying that's right, but there's a big difference between The World That Is and The World That Should Be.

Michael Sawyer 11

your mom or mother's mom? It is not right either way to force a child to wear certain clothing. especially at 5 years old. I would be sitting down with her and telling her that if she keeps doing what she is doing she will no longer have contact with the child until she learns to stay in her lane. As for the other two donkeys that have posted don't let "societal norms" dictate how you raise your child. Goodluck.

Good, kick her ass. Your kid gets to dress however he wants (so long as the swimsuit area is covered). Let kids be kids.

WTF is wrong with people these days? If boys want to wear dresses and girls want to wear trousers, so effing be it. Sorry to say this OP but grandma needs to grow the eff up and get in the 21st Century. Sorry if that sounded harsh but people who judge people based on what they wear, what their marital status is if they’re over 18, race, sexual orientation, religion, political status, job status, child/ren status (how many kids they have), position within the company, income, how many vacations they have per lifetime, etc… is none of anyone’s business but their own. It’s not even their parents’ business. The only time any of that may matter is if you are getting money from the government.

So she's no longer welcome in your home, right?

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

You sound stupid. How does letting her 5 year old have his own creative autonomy in the dressing room lead to her grooming him? It sounds like she’s allowing her son to be whoever he wants. Grooming would be calling a child bad for wanting to dress in dresses because he’s a boy. Grooming him would be ingraining hate & ignorance into the innocent mind of a 5 year old to believe in the close minded crap that you do. Your bigotry is showing.

nammavic1 11

I agree with what you said. And that’s child abuse.

nammavic1 11

I bet you dressed him in dresses and he got used to it. Parents force their agenda in kids to fit the trends. Little boys don’t need to wear dresses. I said what I said.

Interesting how generational norms change. Letting your son regularly dress like a princess 50 years ago would have at least made you a weirdo parent.