Cool cool cool

By Anonymous - 30/12/2015 02:14 - United States - Las Vegas

Today, after living in my new apartment for barely three weeks, I found mice living under my dishwasher. When I brought it up to the managers, they said I'd have to pay for an exterminator myself since they weren't there when they cleaned. FML
I agree, your life sucks 20 372
You deserved it 1 422

Same thing different taste

Top comments

th3m3l33r 10

Check your lease. It should cover this situation. If not, call the organization that owns the apartments. The managers are rarely the top dogs.

That's not very mice of them to do that to you

Comments

th3m3l33r 10

Check your lease. It should cover this situation. If not, call the organization that owns the apartments. The managers are rarely the top dogs.

spaced94 15

Also check the state laws on housing and landlord's responsibility. I bet you won't have to pay.

Iamnotfat 16

Both these guys are correct. Landlord and tenant acts will protect you. You do not have to pay rent if the situation is unlivable. Usually there is a phone number you can call if you google the Landlord and tenant board in your area to ask them directly about your rights.

That's not very mice of them to do that to you

Call some exterminators OP. They'll make sure your apartment is squeaky clean.

I think they need to rat out the leasing office first though

NeonSteps 14

Ain't that nice of the managers to put their responsibility on you.

corky1992 33

It depends on the lease agreement. I lived in a duplex where it stated in the lease if we were to have that problem it would be our responsibility, not theirs. Shitty, but some do that.

I definitely can relate!! I bought first house and even had the house inspected. After I got the okay from everyone and moved in, there were insects and other vermin in the house. I threatened to go as far as sue the previous owner, until she had the house completely fumigated..

Look at the bright side, at least your new neighbors seem mice :)

If all else fails get a cat. I did that when my landlord didn't want to do anything helpful.

Make sure to check the lease agreement to see what the owners say about pets. Some places will make you put down a deposit per cat or dog.

My landlord didn't want pets but I got 2 cats anyways. He eventually found out but didn't seem to care

See how they like it when you withhold rent next month . Bet it gets taking care of real fast

They would have to go through an evection process and he would get to fight for what is right

KeannaLove 32

Withholding rent would just show immaturity. I'm having the same issue and just ended up putting traps up. Fixed the problem and didn't get on my landlords bad side.

It depends on where they live. In some parts of the USA. The renter does have the legal option to withhold rent if the owners are violating health code(s).

Withholding rent is not immature. If you pay to rent a place you are entitled to get what you paid for. The proper way to go about it is to put the rent in an escrow account at a bank with your landlord as the second party. This shows that OP intends to pay while also keeping the funds from the landlord until the matter is handled. OP should check their local laws and their lease to see what their options are. Sometimes a couple traps fix it, sometimes it doesn't. What I find more upsetting was the manager's reaction. In my state what he told OP would be illegal. The upkeep of the premises is the landlord's legal obligation. If OP has the legal right, I would suggest they use an escrow account. If the manager is blaming OP for the mice, what will they blame them for next time?

HeadlessSparrow 20

pay for the exterminator to bring the mice into the manager's office!

**** that go a step harder go scrounge up some bedbugs and put them in the office

Yeah, until you have to clean up the blood bath, or, even better, you have a cat who can't hunt.

agree with comment 2/8 look into lease and renters rights then if you find something that helps your case send them the exterminators receipt along with the rent, with the amount on the receipt subtracted, not to mention if its an apartment building I'm sure the mice aren't just secluded to yours alone, talk to your neighbors well, shitty property management always sucks