Close call

By MC - 14/05/2009 14:11 - Canada

Today, while working at a children's day camp, one of the kids who is allergic to peanuts went into anaphylactic shock. I ran and grabbed the boy's Epipen. I was holding it backwards so the injection went into my hand, causing me to pass out, and both of us to be rushed to hospital. FML
I agree, your life sucks 27 629
You deserved it 56 828

Same thing different taste

Top comments

kellster 2

Not panicking is a good thing. Also, paying attention during the first aid training. And it's "epi pen", for the record.

Too bad you can't spell anything else....

Comments

What did number 9 say? He was moderated out.

mixedcalibaby 0

YDI genius, how in the hell did you get your job? You need to know how to do that correctly. F the kid's L because he could have died from your incompetence. Sorry but mistakes like this is why I'd get nervous letting other people watch my kids for too long. And I don't even have kids. Haha...

One end has a button on it and the other looks like something pointy might potentially pop out of it. It's pretty simple, really.

How do you work at a children's day camp without being taught how to use an epipen? That's ridiculous and dangerous for the kids.

liveitlearnit 0

I could see how this could happen. When I was younger, I was 'looking' at my mom's EpiPen and I accidentally managed to shoot it through my thumb and nail. Let me tell you, that hurt. The sheer alarm from seeing a needle go THROUGH my finger made me pass out. But, the point is that it self-injects at a very fast pace with barely any pressure, so if you had never done it before, this could happen to anyone.

As an EMT Firefighter ... I know those EpiPens are pretty idiot proof - so how you get it backwards is a mystery for me.

#26, It actually happened at my high school. I thought it was a rare case as well, but after reading this, I guess not...?

If you KNOW that you're supposed to give him the epi-pen then you should already know HOW to inject it. Like #4 said, don't bother coming on this site to feel sorry for yourself and say that your life is ******. You could have killed that kid because of your stupidness. I should know because I'm severely allergic to peanuts aswell.

ATchick_08 0

YDI... It's EPI PEN ..and if you're not trained to use one correctly.. DON'T!! You could (& did) screw up what could have been a life or death situation, you just got really lucky the kid didn't die due to your stupidity.

#5, he shouldn't be taking care of a kid who might need an epi pen shot without knowing how to use one.