Alexa, play "Meat Is Murder" by The Smiths

By meat is meat - 07/10/2019 02:07

Today, my girlfriend went on yet another long-winded rant about how dogs are family and should be treated as such, whilst stuffing her face with ribs. I asked her what the difference was between a dog and the pile of pig parts on her plate. Her only response was to call me a monster and dump me. FML
I agree, your life sucks 1 261
You deserved it 2 657

Same thing different taste

Top comments

The difference is culture. In certain Asian countries they do eat dog. In India cows are sacred. Different countries have different values. In the US, a lot of people grow up with a family dog, and not a lot of people (in comparison) have family pigs. Hence the association of dog is family and pigs are for eating. But you were looking for a fight. You would've known that it wouldn't be received well based on how she was glowingly talking about dogs while eating ribs but you said it anyway. So you got what you asked for; YDI.

icalledhisname 12

I’m apparently one of the only people who feels you, OP. I completely agree and I’m sort of shocked at these votes and comments. My uncle adopted a huge pig that was bred to be slaughtered; the thing is massive. But oh, the personality! He’s the same as any dog, for real, and he’s not even the kind of pig people get for pets (my uncle owns a barn he rescues animals with. He didn’t just bring it to a regular house). The pig knows his name, gets excited to see his people, and loves to be petted.

Comments

I want to know what you did/do to make your gf have to repeat that the dog is part of the family.

I'm by no means a dog person but I believe the difference is that the pig is dead and nicely edible, and the dog is alive and was purchased/received as a pet and has been in your house for longer than a week? I get that you can have pigs as pets in some places and I'm sure they're lovely animals when alive, but the one in question was dead and already on her plate and had been purchased for the sole purpose of eating it. If it was a genuine question to her and not a dig/reason to argue then it would have been better posed as what's the difference between the (alive) pigs at the farm and the dog she so clearly loves.

Taylor Caldwell 10

Sorry you were dating such a stunned, hypocritical, close minded, apathetic brat.

julfunky 29

Unless she explicitly said “dogs shouldn’t be raised for slaughter” then I’d assume she’s talking about mistreating them. Which has nothing to do with the types of meat you eat. Also, asking what the difference is between a dog and a pile of pig parts — not the difference between a dog and a pig - sounds like you’re trying to equate dogs to dead meat. Which IS a monstrous thing to say about any living animal. I have to agree with another commenter, it seems like you were trying to get a rise out of her.

I highly doubt that the "long-winded rant" was unprovoked. The fact that you stated that this has happened "yet again" tells me you've been incessantly pestering her about this subject for a while now, while conveniently only giving us one side of the story. I also doubt that she woke up and decided that she was gonna start off her day by randomly going on a rant about how the dog is part of the family, only to follow that up by promptly dumping you. That said, why do you give a shit what she eats? Why do you feel that she has to agree with you and share your point of view?

You make it sound like it bothers you that she eats meat. If it does, then you should probably only date vegans from now on rather than lecturing people who are not vegan...

Girls are psychos gotta let sleeping dogs lay

randybryant799 20