By Aussie girl - 09/10/2018 15:30 - Australia

Today, while finally settling in our new house after months of being rejected for jobs as I lived in a rural area too far from everything, I heard back from my dream job. I was rejected because our new place is too far from the business. The old place would've been fine. FML
I agree, your life sucks 3 287
You deserved it 220

Top comments

I don’t understand how they can reject you based on where you live unless you want your employer to carry you to work everyday. Getting to and from work and home is a you problem.

You must have weird laws over there. Here, you are not allowed to discriminate based on address. If your location actually interferes with your job performance, they can fire you, but otherwise, that’s your issue to solve.

Comments

So. Investing in a RV or small mobile home wouldn’t sound so crazy after all.

I don’t understand how they can reject you based on where you live unless you want your employer to carry you to work everyday. Getting to and from work and home is a you problem.

It kind of depends on where a person lives. For example, if you live in a place where it is not uncommon for snow storms to occur and large amounts of snow to fall and build up, and you live in an extremely rural area but your job is located in the city, they may worry that you'll wind up calling out a lot due to weather and the fact that the plows don't clear your area as much as they do the city. The same is true if you live in places prone to torrential rains. You may get blocked from coming into work due to flooding more often than the guy who works two miles down the street. I'm not sure of the actual potential risks of living in rural Australia in terms of weather and the like, but I know that in general that is part of the information that businesses consider and take into account when hiring. Getting to and from work may be your problem but if you fail to show up for your shift it becomes your job's problem to deal with.

You must have weird laws over there. Here, you are not allowed to discriminate based on address. If your location actually interferes with your job performance, they can fire you, but otherwise, that’s your issue to solve.

bl3ur0z3 17

Isn't your proximity to your employer your problem? My in laws live in a tiny, very rural town. The nearest Walmart is a 35 minute drive. My husband and I were searching for jobs an hour away so we could move in and take care of them.

I guess you never learned how to lie on your resume

What the hell? How can this company say you are now too far away if you moved from rural into urban? I literally know of people who have travelled from places like Gympie, Toowoomba and Kingscliff into Brisbane for work; the situation is even worse for people in Sydney where I know people suffer through a 3hr one way trip just to get to work.

What kind of job is this where your home address is a hiring factor?