You what?

By dumbucksally - 31/08/2018 06:00

Spicy
Today, my 30 year-old boyfriend of 4 years OD'd on his mental health medication, resulting in a trip to the hospital. He said the experience was eye-opening and he wants to be 100% honest with me. He then said he wants to have sex with his biological mother, who he finally met last year. FML
I agree, your life sucks 5 368
You deserved it 289

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I imagine this is an extremely distressing time for you, and you need to be prepared to make a decision. Do you cut and run (because what he’s said and that he OD’d on his meds seems to indicate he has a long way to go in regards to mental health), or do you support him while he sorts out his mental health issues? One thing to keep in mind is that when medication is out of whack it can cause manic episodes and very strange behavior. Regardless of whether you stay or leave it’s important to be compassionate and empathetic regardless of how bizarre and revolting what he has said may be to you. This is a tough one, but you need to take care of yourself first!

This should be eye opening for you as well, if he wants to have sex with his own mom, is that someone you want to be with?

Comments

Boyufd 24

I imagine this is an extremely distressing time for you, and you need to be prepared to make a decision. Do you cut and run (because what he’s said and that he OD’d on his meds seems to indicate he has a long way to go in regards to mental health), or do you support him while he sorts out his mental health issues? One thing to keep in mind is that when medication is out of whack it can cause manic episodes and very strange behavior. Regardless of whether you stay or leave it’s important to be compassionate and empathetic regardless of how bizarre and revolting what he has said may be to you. This is a tough one, but you need to take care of yourself first!

Lucky for him, there's an entire genre of **** for that sort of thing. I mean, that's what I've heard.

thechariot1x 6

This actually happens sometimes with estranged children. Read this op it'll help you understand. https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2016/08/10/adults-who-connect-lost-parents-risk-genetic-sexual-attraction/88516752/

And if you dont want to read, there is an episode of law and order svu on this exact topic.

Thank you! Came in here to say that it's actually not that unusual. Upsetting, to be sure, but not unusual.

This should be eye opening for you as well, if he wants to have sex with his own mom, is that someone you want to be with?

Ham_spam 4

Based on the details of say he tried to die because he felt this way

This is an actual condition. It occurs when people are sexually attracted to family members that they weren't raised together with.

thatslifeiguess7 16

Trust me run. He needs help 51/50 him and run. I wasted 20 years trying to help my ex

julfunky 29

At least it didn’t say “my 30 year old husband.” That should make the next inevitable step much easier for her.

Genetic Sexual Attraction (GSA) is a very real thing. It happens more than you'd think between family members (not just parent/child relationships) that weren't able to develop the crucial Westermark Effect. The Westermark Effect develops between the age of 7 and the end of puberty. I did a lot of research on this for a paper in college. He needs to tell his therapist. No need to leave him. At least he told you, rather than hiding it and actually having sex with his mother.

blondie45 21

Wanting to have sex with someone and actually doing it are two completely different things. Your fiancé obviously loves you otherwise he wouldn’t have trusted you with this information. Be gentle and kind and supportive. It is a genuine emotional dilemma that can develop between biological family members that didn’t grow up together. V tragic situation to find yourselves in! Good luck!