You what now?

By WTF - 29/08/2023 20:00

Today, my lunatic conspiracy theorist coworker started ranting about meat bans. I rolled my eyes, but he pulled up my city's website, where they said they wanted to "phase out" meat and dairy consumption by 2030. These nuts are supposed to be wrong! What the fuck? FML
I agree, your life sucks 560
You deserved it 322

Same thing different taste

Top comments

So if they’re right, then WHO are the nuts? 🤔

you live where again? As in, the sociopolitical bent of the city leaders and residents may well drive said goals. Try that in a small town?

Comments

Unless we want to stop burning oil, then we better cut down our consumption of other things. That, or weed out the population. While I am all for the latter, the sad fact is that most people want neither.

smartal 3

it’s more so the practices that were found ethical are truly wasteful. oil burning isn’t even a 16th of it.

Yeah so which populations would you choose to weed out? This is literally the definition of genocide. Killing them or stopping them from reproducing and continuing their culture are really the same thing.

I would weed out everyone. All populations. Reduce humanity to a more natural sustainable level.

Yeah that sounds like pretty much every villain in every movie ever. I'm killing everyone for the benefit of mankind.

Why not both? Stop using oil and coal, and stop over-consuming everything. We don't need a new phone every three months, we don't need fifty-eleven different pair of shoes or shirts, or shiny new gas guzzling cars because our current one has a miniscule scratch. Hyperbole, yes, granted. People will never stop consuming, and the eastern part of the world is just getting started, so we need to put more burdens on companies to cut down on production. Less products, less consumption. That'll create a whole new set of problems though. Which is the problem - we won't get our of this mess without major, and uncomfortable, changes to our way of life and in part how our society works. And no one wants that, so we're stuck on this path. Enjoy life while you can, I say, because this train is not stopping.

So if they’re right, then WHO are the nuts? 🤔

The guys who designed the fraudulent website claiming that the city wants to ban meat and dairy.

Do you have the website? I like to take a look. Unfortunately I've been on a lot of websites like WHO or IPCC and they usually actually do say all the horrible stuff that people claim they say. They just think that they're saying it in a nice way and it won't scare anyone. I guess in their minds they're thinking it would be great if everyone stopped eating meat but most of the people on the planet don't think that.

you live where again? As in, the sociopolitical bent of the city leaders and residents may well drive said goals. Try that in a small town?

I have seen this a lot where people don't believe something because it is on the wrong side of the political spectrum. It usually comes from people who claim to follow science but completely ignore any science that doesn't support them. It's a real problem with society today and I suspect the problems will get worse before they get better.

Aspirational fluff about "wanting" to do something is hardly a hard-and-fast ban. Did your city's leaders say they want to reduce meat/dairy consumption? Sure. Does it mean they'll actually completely ban these products by 2030? Almost certainly not. New leaders might rotate in and backtrack. Or they'll push the goalposts further back - 2035, 2040, and so on. Or switch it to "reduce consumption by x%" (again, through unspecified means) It's one of those things meant to appeal to a certain crowd (and voting bloc), but without concrete, tangible steps to get there, I wouldn't put much stock in this really manifesting as something you should be concerned about.

I've seen comments that look exactly like this so many times. Someone expressed concern because city leaders are trying to force something on the population. Somebody who likes the idea but doesn't like the criticism pops up and says well they haven't done it yet so you don't need to worry about it. Point is that they have a goal and they're going to try to get there if they can and a lot of people think that's bad. So criticizing the op by saying well they haven't actually done it yet is really an invalid criticism.