By winstonweigand - 14/08/2014 22:40 - United States - Olympia

Today, while taking out the trash, I swung the bag back and forth, which caused it to slide across my leg. An opened aluminum can inside the bag ended up slicing through my calf, causing heavy bleeding. Baked beans sent me to the hospital. FML
I agree, your life sucks 39 803
You deserved it 12 335

winstonweigand tells us more.

Hey y'all it's OP here. This story was actually from a few years back, but someone asked me about the nasty scar on my leg and it reminded me of this event and how pathetic it was. This is how it happened: My family was cleaning out all the cupboards in our kitchen, and when it came to the cans, my dad would open them, empty them and then throw the can in the trash. He tends to not give a shit about Mother Nature. I was tasked with taking the trash out. The can was at the bottom of the bag, facing outwards, and the bag was stretched tight, but it didn't split open so the can wasn't protruding. I was swinging the bag back and forth because I was happy we were done, but when it hit my leg I felt a funny tickling feeling, only to look down and see blood gushing out of a large wound in my leg. Naturally, I was hysterical, because I had no idea how it had happened. The story actually gets funnier from here. In my panic, I ran inside to my family, but since I was bleeding so much, I slipped on my own blood upon entering the kitchen and slammed into a wall head first. I never felt pain throughout the whole thing because of all the adrenaline. Next thing I knew I was in the hospital getting an anesthetic shot DIRECTLY into the gash, followed by a bunch of stitches. Your comments were really funny hahaha, and yeah, we should have recycled, but I was just following my dad's orders! When I'm on my own, I always recycle. I guess Mother Nature punishes those who associate with environment criminals as well :)

Top comments

tony1891 22

beans beans the magical fruit.

I know the feeling. I once sliced my pinky open with a can of Vienna sausage.

Comments

I don't really see how it would have cut deep enough to need to go to the hospital.. unless op is anemic.

I take it you don't know just how sharp an open can can be huh? razor sharp.

rocker_chick23 27

I cut my finger open while opening up a can of ravioli and I had to go to the hospital for stitches. Can lids are really sharp and can cut you deep enough to send you to the hospital.

ydi. what did you think was going to happen?

the same thing that happens every other time? that's what I would've thought, at least

soldier084 11

no playing with trash sent you to the hospital.ydi

I'm sorry about your leg but YDI for not putting that can in the recycling bin instead. Then that never would have happened and you'd be doing you're part to keep the earth cleaner.

Arokthis 21
CeeCee_fml 16

Has it ever occurred to anyone that the OP may be living with more than one person and may not have been the one to put the can in the trash?

Maybe, but it doesn't sound like they're annoyed that someone put something sharp in the bin. They're literally iust annoyed that it sliced through. So it was probably them, or they live in a household where this is just the done thing.

Im sorry but When my leg is severly bleeding i have alot more things to be concerned and annoyed about then the amount of things my family recycle!

What if OP lives in an area that doesn't have recycling? Not all areas do.

I think most areas have recycling available even if it's not door to door. But even so, you can not recycle but still be responsible about your litter. I broke a glass the other day and no, I didn't put put in the glass recycling cause it would've dangerous but I didn't just put it in the bin either. I put it in a thick box, gaffa taped it up and put THAT in the bin.

My mom has nearly sliced the tip of her finger off with a can of wet cat food. I can totally believe that a can could slice that deep.

You were asking for trouble when you put the can in the garbage lid still attached. Sounds like you learned a good lesson about recycling... Look on the bright side the tetanus shot will probably hurt worse than the cut.

cans they are dangerous until they quietly sit in trash..

At least it didn't slice the bag open as well?