By unproud - 15/11/2013 07:05 - United Kingdom - Luton

Today, while my hometown mayor becomes a world-famous crackhead and douche-bag, here in the UK it has come to this: when people hear my accent and ask me if I'm American, it's less embarrassing just to say, "Yeah", rather than admit I'm Canadian. FML
I agree, your life sucks 42 116
You deserved it 7 030

Same thing different taste

Top comments

It's not that big of a deal, OP. He isn't the first politician to do drugs or have some sort of scandal going on. He won't be the last. Everyone has flaws and their problems.

How is being an American embarrassing? I'm not even born in this country yet I'm proud of being here. Besides, why would you let the mayor define your pride?

Comments

It's not that big of a deal, OP. He isn't the first politician to do drugs or have some sort of scandal going on. He won't be the last. Everyone has flaws and their problems.

No, it IS a big deal. The mayor of one of the biggest cities in their country smoked crack cocaine, and you don't think it's a big deal? Of course everyone makes mistakes, but when you are an elected official, the most powerful person in a very large city, you are the face of that city. Full stop.

That person doesn't define the city in itself. The elected official is there through his term and then leaves, the city does not go through an identity crisis every few years. San Diego has had some pretty shitty mayors, but no one remembers reminisces over them.

I mean Bill Clinton almost got "blown" out of office by Monica lewinski and silvio berlesconi had sex with an underage prostitute. This is Canada's first scandal since no one knows how long ago

How is being an American embarrassing? I'm not even born in this country yet I'm proud of being here. Besides, why would you let the mayor define your pride?

I guess it makes sense that if they let their mayor define their hometown, they would let an American (or Americans) define their view of America.

Missyeru 14

But Canadians have a different accent than Americans...

strawberrywine22 30

It depends on what part they're in. I had some friends visit from Victoria, and they sounded pretty American.

It's also down to the individual, I'm from the UK and I've unfortunately offended a few Canadians by asking the same question. I'm useless with accents, absolutely hopeless.

nickygirl713 5

Proud to be an American, or at least you'll pretend to avoid being known from a town with a drugy mayor

strawberrywine22 30

It's not really that big a deal. Personally, when I think of Canada, I don't think about any of your politicians...I think about how beautiful it is, and how I wish we had mounties!

DenBriZel 31

Be proud to be Canadian! You'd rather admit you're under Obama?

Just because you live in the country doesn't mean you approve of the politics. You can hate the politicians yet still love the country. Even still, the policies and politicians don't define the pride.

graphicstyle7 17

Hey, for a while there Americans were claiming to be Canadians overseas. Things change.

Lol I get asked if I'm Canadian about 60% of the time. But I did grow up close to the border.

I'm proud of my Canadian heritage The way the American's government has been mucking up lately I would stick with my heritage. In a few weeks the media will have forgotten him.