By mcmacmick97 - 11/04/2014 00:08 - United States - Egg Harbor Township

Today, while already late for work, a cop pulled me over. When he got to my window, he said, "Oh sorry, I thought I knew you," and sent me on my way. I was relieved, but still got written up for being late to work. My boss didn't believe the story. FML
I agree, your life sucks 42 013
You deserved it 3 963

mcmacmick97 tells us more.

Just to clear some things up I was working the early shift, which I do on most Thursdays and Fridays. I work at a small diner that opens at 7 and had left my house around 6:40 and was going to show up around 7-7:05. My boss usually shows up around 7:15-:7:30. Now when this cop put his lights on behind me I turned down a street to get off of the main road I was on.I was getting my license/registration ready and all that shit and he pulled up to my window and said he was very sorry and he was just trying to say hi to an old friend that he said had the same car as i do. Now this road i pulled down didn't allow me to get back onto the main road, and I had to take a 15 or so minute detour to get back on track. I got there around 7:25 and my boss was already there. I was glad I didn't get a ticket, but it was still very frustrating because I would've only been a couple minutes late and my boss would never have known, but the police officer threw my time off. And ive only been working there for about 3 or so weeks so it sucks to get off on the wrong foot. I also noticed several of you talking about how many write-ups you can get before being fired, and for mine it's 3. Like somebody else said just sucks to waste one already, but i shouldnt have too much of a problem keeping myself in check. Now for the story I told him, I figured he wouldn't believe it, but had to tell anyway. He seemed more irritated that I was "lying" about being late so i probably shouldnt have even bothered. But thanks FML for posting!

Top comments

Getting written up is still a lot better than a ticket, in my opinion.

Though that really is bad luck, you said you were already running late before he pulled you over anyway. At my job, 2 mins or 20 mins late, it doesn't matter-so leave for work sooner next time!

Comments

an3ph 20

I'm pretty sure your good luck just got voided

You say yourself you were already late and being pulled over isn't going to help you either way

Well you still have your job right? And no ticket to pay...that's great

Should of, could of, would of, left home earlier to avoid this mess and prevent this Fml. Plan ahead next time!

I'm normally not such a grammar-nazi that I feel the need to correct people. But since you made the same mistake three times,I couldn't resist it. It's should HAVE,could HAVE,would HAVE!

askullnamedbilly 33

Should HAVE, could HAVE, would HAVE. Making that mistake once, okay, but three times in succession? It's pretty much one of the most annoying grammar mistakes to make. I mean, 'of' what? Edit: Welp, looks like someone had the same idea.

Grammatical or not, that is how the expression is said. Yes, they could HAVE written it ('ve) but that's not how anyone that's familiar with the saying would normally have pronounced it out loud. It's meant to say as quickly as possible.

Only if 've is said and sounds exactly like of. I know it's not grammatically correct. js.

Correction. I looked it up-- I guess it should be said "shoulda woulda coulda". I don't know if that's better? Writing those 3 words didn't change my spell check (no squiggly lines). I just know that it's meant to say as quickly as possible.

The mistake wasn't missing ('ve) it was using 'of' rather than 'have'. That saying uses 'have'. Using 'of' is an error in the sentence entirely.

askullnamedbilly 33

Seriously? Unless you're slurring your words, could've is pronounced could(a)ve, not could of. It's an abbreviated 'a'-sound, not an 'o'. Also, 'of' makes no sense whatsoever in a sentence - of what? What does to could belong to? It's a stupid, unneccessary mistake, not a typo or a hard grammatical rule that's easy to mess up.

I already said that the expression is normally "said" quickly. But just for kicks, why don't you get your camera out and video record yourself saying those words fast. Wonder if you'll pronounce it should(a)ve with a V or if it comes out sounding like "of". Do it --without thinking too hard to say it the proper way. I make an effort to write and speak properly, especially since English is my third language learnt but I can see where the confusion comes from. You make some people worry about commenting because they might write things the wrong way. Other then the small error, #18 should not have gotten thumbed down. It was a good comment.

I was referring to the saying as mentioned above. I do not care about the "grammar". That goes out the window in a lot of short sayings. It can sound like either way. I will let you know; I'm not stupid. I do have a medical degree. This is a fun website about mishaps in people's lives and I come here to enjoy that, not the grammar police. So basically, who cares? I don't. (:

I'd rather be written up at work then get a ticket...

Sure but who's to say that if he got a ticket that he wouldn't be written up anyways?

RedPillSucks 31

He could have shown the ticket as proof of why he was late. Sounds like OP was fishing for an excuse and didn't catch one.

catkat1988 17

Sounds like you should've left home earlier. The incident with the cop couldn't have taken more than a minute, anyway, so I can understand why your boss didn't believe it to be the sole reason of your late arrival.

the cop really had no other way of doing that? if he knew you he couldnt of called his friend after work? i bet he thought you did something he could ding you on n then it was just a cover up story

that's not the first reason why a cop would stop you

I don't believe the story much either. Most bosses don't want to hear excuses. You're better off apologizing and saying you won't let it happen again.