This is a Nearly FML. It’s an FML, nearly. It got positive votes from the users, by wasn’t approved by our team.

By Loraz - 18/07/2017 15:31

Today, we had the animal shelter inspectors come round to evaluate our property as we want to adopt a puppy from them. They took one look at the beautiful Pitbull next door, separated by a six foot wall, and said, "No." FML
I agree, your life sucks 5 799
You deserved it 395

Loraz tells us more.

Hey, so I'm from South Africa. It is general practice with most reputable shelter/rescue centres to inspect property, etc to ensure that there will be no problems resulting in the new owners having to return the animal. We also, unfortunately have a ridiculously high problem with dog fighting. On the up side, I was able to ask for a more experienced inspector to come around and give their opinion. It was a long a process and there were many hoops that we needed to jump through, but I can happily say that puppy is now at home with us, where he will spend the rest of his life being pathetically spoiled and loved. Oh, and so far, the pittie next door couldn't give a flying hoot about his new four legged neighbour.

Top comments

A dog breed has nothing to do with its behavior. It's all about how the dog, or any animal, is raised. A chihuahua could tear your foot off if it's been abused its whole life.

XCoraline_CrossX 17

For animals inspectors, I would assume they would know that pit bulls are safe. Especially if it's separated by a wall that high!

Comments

if these people work with animals I find it odd they don't know pit bulls are sweet dogs. and most shelters have pitties so I'm confused by this.

rety1 13

pit bulls were selectively bred to fight. it doesn't matter how they're raised, the possibility always exists that they could freak at any moment and attack anyone. The handful of cases that involve a perfectly behaved animal for 10+ years are outliers and should have been monopolized upon. ie. breed the animals that display such docile behavior to help pass on said behavioral instincts and affect the reputation of these animals positively. don't, as an owner, just whine like an idiot saying it's all in their upbringing because that's not 100% correct.

You're an idiot as well. ANY dog has a chance of attacking no matter how well it was raised. We've over-bred SO MANY breeds that the "great Golden Retrievers" and "perfect family Labs" are also unknown in terms of if they may or may not spontaneously freak out. I have a Labrador Retriever, raised since a pup by the family. He freaked out one day and just about bit my lower lip right off, had to get 40+ stitches. Golden Retrievers actually have a higher bite % than pit bulls do, and what's worse is that no one can properly identify Pit Bulls. So when you see stupid numbers from people trying to claim that Pit Bulls have the highest rate of attacking, that's a number that has been generated from lumping around 11-14 misidentified breeds into one statistic. The "it's been bred to fight" only means that a Pit Bull MAY (or MAY NOT) have a higher "prey drive" than other dogs, however, that can easily be curtailed as long as the owner wants to take the time and put in the effort to TRAIN them not to react to their prey drive.

I guess you don't know the history of the breed. They where called nanny dogs for a reason. Google it and look at the images the first 20 pic is mostly "aggressive" breeds.

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

This sounds pretty standard for the UK. Pitbull terriers are a banned type of dog and shelters have very strict adoption criteria

It's all in training not breed. My aunt had this horrid spaniel that was so vicious it jumped off a second story balcony broke its legs but continued to try and tear our throats out. (Mind it was mentally unstable and a puppy mill dog to.) I've had big dogs all my life. Never had a problem. You got to remember that dogs that were bred for protection, were also bred for obedience. The last thing anyone wanted was a giant crazy animal. Small dogs (ie your terriers, dashhounds, some small sporting dogs to give just a few examples) were bred for persistence. They were designed in such a way (mentally and physically) that they would keep trying until they figured it out. Working dogs were bred for a specific task and their bodies and mentally reflect that. Big dogs like your rotties and pitties usually understand they can eat you if they have to do there's no point trying without a reason where small dogs get the napoleon complex of eat them before they eat you. If the animal is probably trained, respected, and treated properly then there's no need to be all worried about it. I have a pit-cross, a mastiff, and a lab-rottie cross. Not one of them has ever so much as growled aggressively at someone. People have to do their research. The ones who want a 'aggressive dog breed for the purpose of protection' are usually the very last people who should have a dog of any kind. It's sad that we live in a world where if we push the animal too far and it says 'enough' that it's the animal who gets labeled as dangerous and in need of putting down.

blargerpanda 13

for those who say breed is a factor, pitbulls involved in fatal dog attacks is more common in the US with ones used in illegal dog fights, while in other countries other breeds are the majority involved in fatal attacks. Also many pitbulls were bred as family pets to guard children while parents were out giving them the nickname "Nanny dogs"

I had them say no because they claimed there were coyotes in the area. I've lived there for 24 years and never seen or heard a single one.

Srabear 16

Every time I meet a pitbull it has thrown up on me other than that they've been adorable and their temperment is based on how they are being taken care of like all dogs.

lpara89 4

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

This is horrible. Pit bulls are the most loving and friendly breed I've come across. The animal shelter here RECCOMENDS people take home their pit bulls/pit bull mixes. So sad.