By dani1104 - 29/01/2010 08:49 - United States

Today, my window fell out of the wall, landed on my head, and shattered. I waited 6 hours to get 23 stitches in the emergency room. When I got home, I found a bill. I owe my landlord $130 to replace the window. They won't fix it until I pay up. FML
I agree, your life sucks 32 879
You deserved it 2 309

dani1104 tells us more.

dani1104 0

So I'm not lying. The window repairman came today (after I paid $130) and said that some spring or something in the window frame was worn out. Boston had some very strong winds the day the window fell out, which pushed it out of the frame. I was on the floor doing a puzzle of Fenway Park if you needed to know.

Top comments

softkitty_fml 0

there is no way he can legally make you pay for that if it turns out that the accident was a result of his negligence. if he knew about the problem before and didn't fix it then you can easily sue him for the damages to your person. either way, the landlord cannot make you pay for the window unless you did something that caused the window to fall out in the first place. he is just trying to intimidate you. don't fall for his bullshit. i'm a law student. i know this stuff to be a fact.

you should demand the medical bill from your landlord instead. for renting a place with a dangerous window.

Comments

by law they can't charge you for that actually yiu can sue them. that's an endangerment to a tenant and maintainence neglect on their part

As others have said they can't make you pay for the window and in fact you can likely sue your landlord for negligence and have them pay for your hospital bills and probably more.

kenman884 2

Yeah, if this actually happened, then you have a great case to sue. your landlord is negligent about upkeep and you got grievously hurt because of it.

i say drag his ass to court!! why did the window drop on you in the first place?

jcpt1984 0

Unless if YOU were messing with the window when it fell, then not only are you not responsible for the $130, you should take him to court and make HIM pay up for the medical bills!

jcpt1984 0

forgot to mention... by "messing w/the window" I mean trying to climb out of it, throwing something at it, etc. Not just simply opening or closing it. If it just randomly fell on you, that's INSANE! I hope you're able to find a new place fast!

So add 50 bucks to every rent payment and soon you'll have paid your debt! Ydi cause somehow I doubt a window just falls out a building?! Curtains and Blinds will.., But whole Windows Cmon kid I know better And before buying my own home I've rented some super crappy places!!

boatkicker 4

They can and do. Not often, but I've seen two happen (one on a job my father was doing. one of his employees didn't know how to install a window and it fell out, so I guess that might not count. The other one had been in the house for 50 years and fell out randomly, not long after he bought the house)

DzCountingSheep 0

I still don't get how a window detaches from the wall and smashes someone...