By Anonymous - 09/04/2016 05:49 - United States - Ponchatoula

Today, my sister got me in deep trouble at the store I worked security for. She "dropped by to say hi" and stole a bunch of things when I wasn't looking. I wasn't arrested, due to lack of any evidence. But my boss didn't care about evidence and fired me anyway. FML
I agree, your life sucks 22 721
You deserved it 2 040

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I'd just report him to the cops, teach her a lesson.

Call the cops or go to your sisters work and get her fired

Comments

emi_alejandra 23

She needs to be taught a lesson. You should report her to the police OP!

Your sister is the issue, not the boss. You were security, things got stolen. Can't really blame him for firing you. You need to either find a way to teach your sister better or just be done with her. It seems she doesn't care if she causes any harm for you.

This is why America needs a version of Australia's Wrongful Termination laws... If you're fired without a clear, valid, legal reason with evidence, you can take them to court and sue for damages (as being fired will hurt your chances to get another job).

It's not wrongful termination. He's a security guard and someone who happens to be related to him stole a bunch of stuff. It was his job to prevent that from happening and he failed to do that. That's why he was fired.

I have to say the boss was a bit... justified. A bunch of things were stolen right under your nose and your job is to keep that from happening... you didn't do your job. It was even enough to get the cops involved too.

I'd fire you too, regardless of whether you were charged with anything or not. You let someone just take a bunch of stuff. What kind of security guard does that? I mean, i understand you have no reason to think your sister would steal from your store, but you still gotta keep your guard up no matter what.

I thought of it this way. Boss may have thought both were in on the stealing, as in OP allowed it since he was in on it, too. Boss cant prove it but fired him for this reason.

I think they were thinking along the lines of if you can't stop your sister from stealing then how can you keep a stranger that is "shopping" from stealing. If they didn't, then they should at least talk with you and your sister and review the security cameras if they have them. As long as you were doing you job and they have video evidence then hopefully you can get your job back with your sister getting a lifelong ban from the store. Speaking from a former security guard your not alway going to be able to catch everyone. People that are stealing seam to be veto getting smarter and smarter.

That isn't even legal. Take it up with HR.

Yes it is 100% legal. OP's job was being a security guard (who happens to be someone that is supposed to stop shopper lifters from stealing from the store) which OP failed to do (even if it was his own sister). Sure it sucks for OP, but he still failed to do the job he was hired for.

Your boss fired you because you didn't catch the thief, not because s/he thought you were connected with the crime

My Wife has an asshole sister like yours. She moved so far away from her that she never has to worry about seeing the bitch ever again.