By Owned - 25/03/2009 23:43 - United States

Today, my parents came to visit me at the ranch I work at. They're scared to death of horses, but I was explaining how they are almost completely harmless. I was showing them how to work around the horse without getting kicked. As they relaxed, the horse kicked me. I now have a broken leg. FML
I agree, your life sucks 454
You deserved it 56

Top comments

That sucks. Something similar happened to me once. I was in my playset, showing one of the neighborhood kids how safe and not scary it was up on the upper level and in the covered slide, when I got attacked by a hive of wasps who had made their home up there.

hey everyone, latkematzoball has a gigantic stick up his butt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! happy??

Comments

That sucks. Something similar happened to me once. I was in my playset, showing one of the neighborhood kids how safe and not scary it was up on the upper level and in the covered slide, when I got attacked by a hive of wasps who had made their home up there.

come on crickets.. u replied just tto the top to say "adorable cartoon :)"???? thats so great. hey everyone, crickets thinks this is an adorable cartoon!!!!!!!!!!! happy??

hey everyone, latkematzoball has a gigantic stick up his butt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! happy??

nataliex3 0

Just a broken leg? I'd be happy =P Its a big FYL but you should never stand behing a horse so YDI lol

jennbug 0

Zero_Zero, sometimes you have to get around a horse...better around their back end then under their neck. "Never walk behind a horse" is something horse people tell non-horse people when they don't know what they are doing. The closer you are to the horse's butt, the least likely they are to kick (because they know you are there), the least likely you are to get hurt (because you are too close for them to make contact high on your body). Know the horse, the horse will know you. Still OP, sometimes unexpected accidents happen. Sorry about that, mate. Hope you're up and about again.

chlorinegreen 27

Haha well aren't you dumb... I think it's a cute one too...

So... Did the horse have to put you down?

Inspired22 11

That's horrible! Horses do kick often, from what I've heard, but man. Bad timing! So, are you afraid of horses now?

Is the OP afraid of horses?! WHAT ABOUT HER PARENTS?!? They probably had an uber heart attack.

Trust me getting kicked doesnt make you scared of horses. Ive had many accidents with horses in my 8 years around them and still love them with my whole heart

it's because dreams and fears are material.

ohboyscott 0

#1 hahahahahha oh my god. lol OP, that's sad. Horses are pretty jumpy at times, even when well trained. My mom is a horse lady -_-

Horses are completely harmless, IF you know what you are doing.. Just don't think you can learn these things overnight.

#5 Cowboy: No animal is completely harmless if trained. I know of race horses that have spent their entire life training that have bitten off a man's fingers. Some horses are just skittish and react in negative ways.

I'd agree but I have a scar on the side of my face that says otherwise.All my life around horses and got kicked in the face.They are not harmless even if you know what you're doing

theannak 7

Horses are big animals. If you don't know what you're doing, they can be dangerous. If they're untrained, or frightened, they can be dangerous. In anything we do though, theres a risk involved. Horses have a high risk for us being injured. When you know what you're doing, you can pretty much avoid most incidents though. I mean, accidents happen and even the best horse person can get injured, but that doesn't mean that horses are to blame. It's like having a pet lion. It may like you, and love you, but if it's hungry it's still going to try to eat you. A horse may be trained, it may be respectful, but of it gets scared, there's still a chance it will injure you.

Unless there is any other way a horse can kick you... how smart is it to stand BEHIND the beast when telling people how to avoid getting kicked?

that a bit unfair-like no. 8 said it was bad luck that something spooked the horse. sometimes you have to stand behind them to groom them.

No, you really don't. If anyone ever tells you to stand directly behind a horse while grooming them, you should laugh and make them do it for you. You should never, under any circumstances, stand directly behind a horse (or cow for that matter). Any grooming or picking of the hooves is easily accomplished from the side.

rinoa_fml 10

How would you artificially inseminate a cow without standing directly behind her?

Even then, you're encouraged to touch the horses leg and talk to them all the way to the side and while cleaning it because it's simple to spook them. Perhaps the OP had the bad luck of the horse moving and kicking them, too.

A horse can kick to the side as well as in front though they usually don't have quite the amount of force that a kick straight back would have its more then enough to break bones.

man, that is so ******* painful. you just have to watch it around different horses. some of them get really nervous when people are around so could have been a better choice of horses. anyway, hope you get better :)

autumn_minstrel 0

Wow. I feel your pain--literally. I've been kicked before even by the most docile of horses. Sometimes it's just bad luck that something spooked them. Tho you had to have been pretty far off (or just at a bad angle) when you got kicked to get a broken leg. The closer you are the better you're off to only getting a bruise... Get better soon. :)

ughhh that would KILL. I hope you get better :] My friend works at a horse place and she tells me that stuff like this has happened.

shroomis 0