By soulebelius - 07/09/2014 22:50 - United States

Today, my mother told me that she and my father aren't coming to my wedding if my estranged brother who stopped talking to me two years ago isn't invited. She claims they don't want to choose sides. Brother: 1. Me: 0. FML
I agree, your life sucks 37 966
You deserved it 3 255

soulebelius tells us more.

Just a quick update from the OP: this isn't the first threat my mother gave me about this. She actually influenced my sister to have the same stance. Me and my sister worked it out, but my mom crossed the line. She brings this up when it benefits her ulterior motive to reunite the family (ain't mad at her for that), but it shouldn't be brought up while we're announcing our engagement, or introducing both families for the first time, or a casual conversation months later about us getting on the same insurance. The saddest part is... Me and the missus were planning on having only our closest immediate family. It was going to be around 10 total people. I told her she doesn't have to worry anymore: no need for them to go. Not even bitter. I just want to keep the focus on the happy couple and not use our day as a family counseling session.

Top comments

shelbycobra0991 8

That definitely sucks, OP. They say they don't want to choose sides, but by not being a part of the most important day of your life, it seems as if they have. Just don't let it stop you from enjoying your day. Get relatives or close friends to stand in for them, and when it's all said and done and they see your beautiful pictures, I'm sure they'll feel quite bad for letting a family dispute get in the way.

fffianist 9

If you're confident he won't come anyway, you can send out an invite and simply tell your parents it's his choice not to be there.

Comments

**** 'em all, OP, and be excited about the opportunity to create a family of your own.

That's something that they will regret forever.. Shrug it off and enjoy your day.

Invite him, then it's his fault if he doesn't show up

Is it really that big of an issue inviting him? It's not really a huge social event so much and he wouldn't want to talk to you much anyway unless I got the wording wrong

I don't know the reason behind your estrangement but life is too short to hold a grudge. Invite him and maybe he won't come. If he does maybe you guys can mend your relationship

You don't know the reason behind the estrangement...enough said. At any rate, other people's feelings are none of your business, so stay out of OP's.

squideth 18

No, life is too short to deal with shitty people. OP has every right to invite who they want to their wedding.

Im not talking to My family either. Sometimes ur just better off without them

tell them they were not invited either. they deserve it.

stewpididiot 11

im sorry, that is ridiculous. They are parents which means they don't have to choose and by not going they clearly are.

Family problems, we all have them. Good luck with your tough decision