By Mudge - 25/02/2016 22:26 - United States - San Francisco

Today, my friend said that his dad told him we couldn't hang out anymore, he thinks I'm a bad influence because I don't have all 90's in my classes. The only reason he knows I have below a 90 is because he's my geography teacher. I have an 87. FML
I agree, your life sucks 20 495
You deserved it 1 477

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Is it just me or does he flat-out dont like you?

The way I see it is he either just dislikes you a lot and was looking for an excuse, or he expects everyone to be a perfectionist. An 87 is still an A in a lot of places. You should try to hang out with your friend anyways, and great job with your grades, by the way.

Comments

Your friend's father doesn't know the meaning of bad influence.

Dude all 90s and one high 80s is better than most people

Great job with the grades, though. Mostly 90's is amazing.

He would have not liked me; D's get the Degrees..

So he literally only cares about grades, nothing else in life or your character matters. Sounds like a lot of teachers I've had.

He's just worried that his son might get bad grades and end up having to be a geography teacher.

His geography teacher telling him he has an 87 is a breach of contract?! Man, I need to sue my kid's school for all those midterms and report cards they send out...

The mentality that everyone has to be in the top 10% is one of the biggest problems with our school system. Last year the school counseled told me I should consider switching to an easier class to improve my gpa. What grade did I have in the class? 88%. It really pisses me off when I hear people complaining about failing and they got like an 80. They didn't fail and have been spoon fed ridiculous standards of acceptability for their whole lives.

He's not glorifying mediocrity, but 80% is far from failing, and definitely not something to complain about.

#32 is absolutely right. If there isn't a good bell curve, students are not being challenged. Students come with different potentials, experiences, and drives. If everyone is I the 90s, it is a clear indicator of a diluted system of education. Average means 50% below and 50% above. No way should half of kids be in the 90s. It's like the 80% of parents that think their kid is "gifted". Good for you for challenging yourself when they wont, #32.