By innocent - 06/01/2015 03:11 - United States

Spicy
Today, my father seems to be having an affair. A used condom was carelessly left on his nightstand and my mother found it. She refuses to believe that my boyfriend and I are not responsible. As punishment I am "no longer allowed to see him." We're both 22 and live together in our own apartment. FML
I agree, your life sucks 44 063
You deserved it 3 339

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Well being 22 implies that she has no right to tell you what to do.

Comments

You're 22. You live on your own. You're free to do what you want.

Just a thought. Maybe your mother knows it was your father, is in denial and refusing to accept the truth by shifting the blame.

Maybe it is from the mom...and she can't blame the dad because he will know it was not him...

Odds are she suspects that it's really your fathers. Blaming it on you is her way of trying to repress the information, and trying to punish you for it is a way for her to control the situation.

Goblin182 26

and how's does your mom believes that you guys leave a used condom on your parents bedroom night stand...

Your mom is probably in denial, that's a pretty brutal truth to accept.

I really hate people who are in denial. Her problem isn't gonna get fixed by ignoring it. She needs you OP.

Denial is the brains way of trying to lessen the effect of negative information on our mental health. Sure the problem won't get fixed by denial, but some information can hit you so hard that you have trouble breathing. It's just a way of funneling that pain into smaller amounts until you're capable of handling it in full and know how to react. It's a coping mechanism as long as it doesn't last forever.

flychicc 13

Your mother's overreaction makes me think it's her that's having the affair....

It's rough but try and be there for her. Clearly don't take her irrationality to heart. This situation sounds like it's not the first time. She is making outrageous mental leaps to allow herself to believe her marriage is intact. Bring it up with your father, his "extra curricular activities" are ruining your mother. She needs help and needs to check back into reality.