By WalnutGaming - 22/10/2013 19:20 - United States - Silver Spring

Today, my dog got out of the house. I was running after him and remembered the old "pretend you're hurt" trick. I got on the ground, and cried out as if I was hurt. My dog just kept running. FML
I agree, your life sucks 43 211
You deserved it 8 071

WalnutGaming tells us more.

Hey guys. I did end up finding my dog. For those who said get a treat or meat, my dog would be way down the street by that time. My dog had stopped to "say Hi" to my neighbor and her dog. I used this method because my dog was trained to come to me when I lay down, but something made him run instead. In training meat was put on the ground and I was put on the ground and my dog chose me first over the meat. He is a good dog really, this is his first actual stunt hes pulled. Anyway, just thought it'd be nice to fill you guys in.

Top comments

Are you sure your dog isn't a bitch? Get it? Haha...no? Okay :( Hope he came back! It took us awhile to train our dog not to run.

Comments

If that dog ditched you don't take your chances with a human... By the sounds of it you need all the help, advise you can get!

I was walking my Brittany Spaniel down an alley one day when a pure bred Doberman Pinscher jumped a fence and blocked our path, ears down, showing teeth a and growling menacingly. I reached down and unleashed my dog, said the words "sic' um" as I was doubling his chain to use as a weapon. I glanced behind me to see what he was doing and he was about a hundred yards away, almost out of sight. I had no idea he could run that fast.

8313girl 28

OMG! I know it's wrong but I laughed hard at that one. I know your clean underwear was gone that day. Glad you got away uninjured.

Can't say I've heard of that trick before. At least now I'll never do that when my dog runs away.

Never heard of said trick but you got punk'd by your poochie.

Hey guys. I did end up finding my dog. For those who said get a treat or meat, my dog would be way down the street by that time. My dog had stopped to "say Hi" to my neighbor and her dog. I used this method because my dog was trained to come to me when I lay down, but something made him run instead. In training meat was put on the ground and I was put on the ground and my dog chose me first over the meat. He is a good dog really, this is his first actual stunt hes pulled. Anyway, just thought it'd be nice to fill you guys in.

It's good, everything turned out okay. Maybe you need to do some more training with him. Good luck! :)

#42, I've never heard of such a trick. My dog is trained to simply obey the word, "wait". There has been only one or two cases where she has disobeyed that word and it doesn't need to be said in a commanding tone, either. I've seen so many people yell at their dogs or use a commanding tone - it's a false belief that dogs can't understand words, because mine does understand A LOT. Anyway, a good thing that your dog was found safe and sound instead of finding him after having been run over by a car.

CommentModerated 17

I don't think people think dogs can't understand words...

It does seem like it would be easier to call out "come" rather than drop to the ground wherever you are.

you're right to some degree, you don't need to be loud and commanding you just need to sound confident and in control .

57 You (or a dog) don't need to "understand" a word to have it associated with you being wanted to do something.

Much like people, dogs get bored. They also like to test their limits. Even good dogs. If you are finding he tries this more and more, I have found the bow wow flirt pole which can be found on amazon works wonders. It exercises both body and mind and can also be used as a training device. Glad the pooch is ok.

Eh, dogs aren't perfect. I am one of those who is all about having good recall and a "freeze" command, but even the best dog isn't perfect. All we can do is find the holes in their training when something like this happens and work harder to make that recall more reliable. Personally, I don't believe that there is any dog on the planet who has existed or ever will exist with perfect recall because dogs are living, breathing, thinking beings, not robots. Doesn't mean we shouldn't strive for perfection though.

I'm assuming he has been taught to come to you when you lie on the floor to help with some illness like diabetes or epilepsy. AFAIK those dogs also smell from your scent when something is wrong. Your dog might have smelled that everything is alright with you and went anyways.

Sweetpea22 14

My chow/akita mix runs every chance he gets. It's annoying trying to chase him.

OP's dog in thought during that moment: "Not today! I am not falling for that trick twice!"

JMichael 25

Hey when dogs are in the heat of they moment they tend to unite even their owners.

JMichael 25

Wtf..that was supposed to be ignore..