By Inthedumps - 23/07/2014 00:51 - United States - Jerseyville

Today, my boss is still refusing to hire any more people because he's convinced I can handle all of the work after the majority of staff quit. FML
I agree, your life sucks 44 890
You deserved it 3 603

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Tell him you will quit if he doesn't hire anyone else or that you want a huge raise

Comments

It's not always about the money though, a raise shouldn't equal dealing with any crummy working conditions! If you don't have the ability to risk looking for another job, you need to still try and maintain a work/life balance. If it is way too much to handle and the boss won't face reality, you had better polish off the CV!

Sounds like you have some leverage here, either demand a raise or quit.

let me guess: u still get paid to do the original job only?

stephers444 17

I say it's time for you to quit and find a new job. It's not fair you have to handle all that extra work

Unfortunately, it's going the route that a lot of businesses take these days. If you threaten to quit because of crappy wages and work conditions, they'll claim that you're easily replaceable. Of course, they'll eventually find someone desperate enough to take the extra work load and see no livable wage from it. With unions dissolving every day, it's no wonder that job conditions are slowly backpedaling to the Industrial Revolution days.

I agree with what someone else said: Tell him you'll quit if he doesn't hire more people or to give you a raise. And look for another job in the mean time just in case he refuses to fix the situation or decides to be an ass and fire you (which I don't know why he would do if you're one of the few left doing all of the work, but you never know). Good luck, no one deserves that bull.

I've been in this situation (when I was much younger and dumber). Eventually you will burn out he'll fire you when you get slower or make mistakes or get sick. My advice is: Document everything - The sort of human slime that treats employees like this will think nothing of faking documents and lying to a judge. Keep a dictaphone running at all times. Record him being abusive, refusing to hire more employees, etc. Keep your cards close to your chest - Don't threaten, don't give him any idea how much information you have, what information you have, or even that you're gathering evidence. Don't mess about - Work hard, but don't kill yourself. Don't deliberately stuff up or do anything stupid. Never talk back, just walk away. Wait - He'll fire you sooner or later. Then you go to a lawyer, go over the material you've gathered and see what charges you can file. If this guy is true to type then you'll be spoilt for choice, from health and safety violations to bookkeeping irregularities. Let the lawyer do the work - Then you send your lawyer to have a nice long chat with your ex-boss. Do not talk to your boss, take his calls or even look at him... if he arrives at your house then call the cops and your lawyer, in that order. If things work out well you'll be CEO of the company and your ex-boss will be a VERY silent shareholder, or he'll be in prison and you'll be getting a generous whistleblower's payout. Either way it beats working your ass off for an ungrateful SOB until you get too sick or tired to work and he fires you. Life gives you lemons? Make SOB lemonade. Any SOB bosses out there reading this? Realise that division of labour is as much for your protection as it is there for employees' sanity. There's a jolly good reason you don't want your production manager, sales manager and accounts manager to be the same person, namely that they'll realise just how much you're making, just how much they're making and quickly arrive at the conclusion that they could do with a 3000% raise.

That is some legit advice; some of the best I've read on FML actually. OP would do well to read this.

Demand a raise. If he refuses then the business fails.

menja 29

You should just not complete you work on time and so force him to either fore you and pay you severance OR hire more people