By BrokenAndHurt - 24/05/2016 12:28 - United States - Gilmanton

Today, my best friend decided to make some life changes. He got a new job, a new car, and asked me to move out of our apartment. We're 1,500 miles away from my hometown. I only moved all the way out here to live with him in the first place because he asked me to. FML
I agree, your life sucks 12 836
You deserved it 1 432

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Well he can't exactly kick you out until the contract expires but I wouldn't want to live with him either if that's how he treats you. Hope you can talk to him about why he wants you to leave and unless he's rich I doubt he could pay the rent himself. Time to find a new friend to start your adult life with.

Id tell him I'll happily go if you pay for my moving expenses back home. What an ass

Comments

mariri9206 32

If you're paying rent and on the lease, it's your place, too, and he can't just kick you out. You're just as much a tenant as he is. If he wants to live on his own, then he needs to get out and find a new place. If he's really about making life changes, maybe he should just buy a house and you can find a new roommate for the apartment.

#13, that actually depends on how the lease is set up. If they're both listed on the lease, great. If the roommate's name is the only one on it, then in the eyes of the landlord and the law OP isn't "just as much a tenant". Of course, if OP isn't on the lease, OP doesn't have to worry about getting out of it if he moves out, or about remaining liable for rent there if the roommate fails to cover it all.

hello fellow New Hamoshirite, I'm sorry about your friend. That's life though and it's a pain but it'll pass. fyL

Hey NH OP, I'm sorry that definitely sucks- and not in a good way. On the positive side NH rocks and is full of some pretty cool people, so don't let him ruin it for you. That being said, I'm am now wondering what NH does to some. I moved there recently myself and I also lost a friend of many years shortly after I moved (she's not native to the state either). And that's lost, as in I was unfriended and in real life, not on an app. This was also the person who played a key role in my moving to NH. If I didn't know better, I would have seriously thought she was dating your friend. Good luck OP! It really is a cool place to be on a journey in!

OP. As hurt as you are right now. I hope you're not on the lease. And take some time to get your stuff together and leave once you're ready. Even if he changes his mind, it's best you move back home. You don't want to live with someone who wants to live with you one day and wants you out the next.

NH is the best state!! I absolutely love living here.

I feel like there's more to this best friend you haven't told us...

You have rights as a tenant, even if your name isn't on the apartment lease. This is the one situation I am FOR squatting rights, as it is your home, and you deserve time to find somewhere else to live. If you're helping pay, and there are records of consistent payments every month, then take the 30 days you have. It sucks it comes down to that, but perhaps try talking it out with him first to give you time.

What kind of a "best friend" is that? I feel for you!