By Anonyme - 14/08/2011 23:53 - Lebanon

Today, my 12-year-old daughter is a Nirvana fan, while my 20-year-old son is a Justin Bieber fan. How did that happen? FML
I agree, your life sucks 619
You deserved it 102

Top comments

Your children feel comfortable enough to break free of stereotypes with their music taste, unless they're blasting it needlessly loudly why is that a bad thing?

Hey... Your daughter actually has decent taste in music! .....FYL about your son though.

Comments

Mathalamus 24

its not up to you to decide their tastes in music. get over it.

so are you sure you're not hallucinating

Bieber has released some bangers lets not lie

Could be worse. Your daughter could be a Rebecca Black fan.

it sounds like you are saying nirvana is bad...

No, I'm not saying that. I grew up in the 80s. Nirvana were awesome. But Bieber is bad. What I'm trying to say there is: Only one of her kids has bad taste in music. It could be worse: both could have awful taste.

"Sorry", that Smells like team spirit.

Smells like TEEN spirit. (Sorry, I had to. I'm a kid of the 80s)

Thats probably the only song from nirvana that his daughter knows tbh

#32, how do you come to that conclusion? True, some of their songs need more work to really get them lodged in your brain than others. My first infatuation with the band was "Where did you sleep last night". Followed by the whole Smells like teen spirit album, followed by Bleached, and then Unplugged.

FML, I failed, I knew it was TEEN spirit, I just missed my error. I'll take my loss.

i find that as I grow older I enjoy more diverse music even though I am a metalhead at heart I do enjoy some of the pop music they play on the radio, in short your kids will do what they will just hope they don't become some of those pricks that hate people based on their taste in music! :)

I agree! I'm 34 and my favorite bands are Hollywood Undead, Volbeat, Over The Rhine, and Adele!

That was basically me and my older brother, I liked 80s bands, he liked 1D.

You can learn things about people from music they listen to. You have a cool daughter, but be careful she doesn't beat up your son. (Their ages in mind)

OP isn't judging their children based on their music preferences. They're pointing out that Justin Bieber's fan base is primarily preteen girls, and that their son is older and was closer to being at the age where he was interested in music when Nirvana was popular. But the young daughter likes Nirvana, which is before her time, and the son likes Bieber, though he doesn't fall into his primary fan base.

It sounds to me like the ages are both too young to really matter if Cobain died before either of the kids was born...

what does when he died have to do with kids liking the music he left behind? You know it IS possible to like music made before your time.

#26 I don't think 12 is "before the time" for Nirvana. I'm female and was 12 when I got into them. Which was in 1993. One year later Curt died. I was traumatized. And then, a bit later there was news all over that girls wanted to kill themselves because Robbie left Take That. All I thought was, well, he is still alive. Chill, girls.

People aren't saying that being 12 is too young to listen to nirvana, that isn't what 'before their time' means. They're saying that a 12 year old is much less likely to be a nirvana fan than someone older than them because the music was made before their time.