By curiousminx - 06/12/2016 02:32 - Australia - Morningside

Today, is my first day as a student nurse. It was also the first day I learnt I was allergic to latex gloves. FML
I agree, your life sucks 9 969
You deserved it 846

Same thing different taste

Top comments

You can always use nitrile gloves. Hospitals usually use them anyway.

I was under the impression that most places use latex free gloves- it's become a common allergy! Hopefully they can accommodate. Good luck OP!

Comments

There are different gloves that you can use because the allergy is so common.

species4872 19

Are any of you young people actually allergy free? Seems that most of you's are allergic to one thing or another.

I find it hard to believe that TODAY as a grown adult, this was the first time you found out you were allergic. That's just very hard to believe

Actually it can happen. If you come into passing contact with latex you might be able to get by with no reaction. But put latex gloves on and you have a reasonably large surface area of skin in extended contact with latex and you have your first noticeable reaction.

MallowMistress 13

Allergies to gloves affect far differently then just some contact. I'm allergic to vinyl gloves, which we use at work. They cause a general burning pain across my skin. But unless she was wearing them before, a latex allergy can be easily missed.

da_epic_failman 7

Who tf even uses latex gloves anyway? My science class always uses latex-free anyways.

Certain compounds like chloroform can dissolve nitrile gloves. Hence, it is better to use latex gloves while using chloroform if one is not allergic to latex.

A lot of places use vinyl gloves because of latex allergies, don't worry you will be fine :) best of luck

This isn't an FML. I can't think of a hospital that wouldn't have non latex gloves. I, however am allergic to latex and nitrile and vinyl gloves and I didn't find out for 10 years...I work in a microbiology lab. I haven't found cotton liners that are long enough to cover my hands and arms yet. Right now my arms and hands are covered in a scaly, itchy rash.

Nitrile is better, anyway ;) Seriously, though, latex allergies suck. As said above, nitrile gloves have become the standard for most places. When I did my clinicals, I didn't see a single hospital or ambulance with latex gloves available.

I knew a doctor who was allergic to the powder inside them

ollygollymolly 6

I have to do a lot of sampling for work and am also allergic to latex. Made my company by Nitrile :) Most hospitals have latex-free materials anyway since it's a pretty common allergy. Just let your instructor know.

This is the one time you could say having sex at a young age would work out for the best