By failure - 12/07/2012 16:08 - United States - Hector

Today, in the middle of my online midterm, my computer decided to update and closed out of the test. It can't be retaken. FML
I agree, your life sucks 39 957
You deserved it 3 622

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Doesn't it usually warn you before it does?

loserboii 11

Don't you just love technology?

Comments

luv_him6 6

that just sucks! hopefully you can retake it

Well look on the bright side...if you didn't do so hot you have a pretty valid excuse why! (;

I say YDI. Purely on the reason that computers would usually ask you to update it. I doubt if there are conputers that automatically update. If you changed the settings to update automatically. You should have known this would happen solely because it would have happened before.

Hey, guess what. My laptop does the exact same thing. Most of the time it warns me, but there's always a time when it just automatically reboots with no warning. -.-

DoctorWho4TW 8

My computer did the exact same to me... no warning. Silly goose. Least I was playing a game, though, and not taking an important test. Point is, I dislike your comment and consider it rude and misinformed.

it only does that if you are silly enough to ignore the message for long enough. i consider your comment misinformed also.

momolee 4

Smh, technology! What's wrong with the good old pencil and paper

hateevryone 14

That sucks. Try to explain it to your instructor.

sucks, but it is your fault. you can change automatic update settings, AND it warns you that its going to restart your computer in 15 minutes if you don't delay for up to four hours. assuming you're using Windows. so, nice try, might want to go back to taking classes on campus with a #2 pencil. :D

Can I just punch you for being that idiotic? Obviously he didn't know that, and no one would automatically guess that he would get an update and it would shut down. Some computers are like that, so do us all a favour and think before you type.

Michael_92 20

But it's right that's how computers work. They just don't shut down when there is a update for this EXACT reason. It will pop up and tell you updates are ready.

Can I just punch you for being that idiotic? Obviously any OS wouldn't restart without warning, unless he sets it to be that way. If there really are any OS that comes with "automatically update and restart without any warning" as a default setting, please state the OS name, I'd like to see it. So do me a favor by not making up some bullshit just to bash someone.

Michael_92 20

Actually windows does automatic updates by default. However it won't restart. I actually thought of 1 way this could happen. Windows update will pop up and say restarting in 10? min i believe. If you ignore it then it will restart "by itself" but even then it warned you.

I know that Windows comes with auto update enabled by default, many OS do. But as I said, there is no OS that comes with "auto update then restart without warning" by default. So either OP must has disabled it in the settings or has ignored the warning, so it's his YDI. Actually, whenever someone doing something important, he should check his tools/equipments before doing so. If he doesn't and something wrong happened, he shouldn't be complaining about "my car has run out of gas during the race" or "my flashlight battery died while I was camping in the forest" situations.

DoctorWho4TW 8

It informs you WITH SOME UPDATES. I have no idea WHY, but it tells you about some, not others. It sucks, but there's no reason to blame OP. Shit happens.

perdix 29

You need to put tape over the webcam. Testing software today can look at your face and see that you don't know what the **** you are doing. Then, it will say it needs to "update" which just an excuse to prevent you from wasting everybody's time.

At least it was your midterm and not your final

Idk about OP, but where I come from midterms and finals are worth the exact same percentage of your overall grade.

I'm sure the only reason they say you can't retake it is so you won't try to get a better score a second time.

flutter4 7