By SwellSwellSwell - 19/05/2017 16:19 - United Kingdom

Today, as a nursing assistant, I often hear that the biggest thing people get from their job is satisfaction of helping others get better. Biggest thing I've gotten out of it? Shingles. FML
I agree, your life sucks 4 651
You deserved it 463

Swellswellswell tells us more.

Hey guys, OP here. I've gotten over the worst part of it, just left with a small scab under my eye. When I first started they told me all the vaccines I needed, which they would provide. Shingles/chicken pox vaccine wasn't on there! At least it's cleared now!

Top comments

I'm guessing you fell outside the typical range for the disease and couldn't get a vaccine prior to exposure?

Ouch, sorry OP. I've had it three times (twice in the eye) and I'm still to young to get the vaccine. I hope you are one of the luckier ones who just got a minor case of it but either way I feel your pain.

Comments

niknik42 2

You should really study more if you are in nursing. I am a nurse and shingles isn't contagious

Per the CDC: Shingles cannot be passed from one person to another. However, the virus that causes shingles, the varicella zoster virus, can be spread from a person with active shingles to another person who has never had chickenpox. In such cases, the person exposed to the virus might develop chickenpox, but they would not develop shingles. The virus is spread through direct contact with fluid from the rash blisters caused by shingles.