By VeeDubDisaster - 17/01/2010 02:35 - United States

Today, I went to start my just bought '79 VW bus. I put my key in but stopped due to the strong gasoline smell. I went to check. Found puddle of gas. The previous owner figured duct taping a cracked tank was the same as fixing it. And didn't bother to share that tidbit with me. FML
I agree, your life sucks 14 312
You deserved it 28 507

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Probably should have had the car checked out before you bought it? .-.

Jeff2017 0

should of said "show me the carfax"

Comments

tdoublet 0

who buys a 79 VW piece of crap from 30-40 years ago!

cucuto89 0

YDI for being a woman and thinking you could drive a car

sportsnut 0

YDI for being stupid enough to buy a used car without even bothering to inspect it

Punkartmama 0

If you watched The Peoples Court more often, you would know to ALWAYS have the car taken in for an inspection. Good luck getting it fixed!

buyer beware my friend...it was your obligation to check the car in detail before u buy it. ydi

npk88 0

I stopped reading after "Today, I bought a '79 vw bus" and automatically clicked YDI. You know that thing will only get like 8 miles to the gallon right? You'll have paid for more gas in a week of driving that car than the car itself is worth! Stupid.

Bah. On any used car, let a lone one 30 years old, there are a thousand things to check. Whether or not the previous owner violated every rule of safety, honesty, and common sense by duct-taping a gas tank isn't usually one of them. Worst of it is, he must have done it right before the OP arrived, as the gas would have (and did!) dissolve the adhesive on the tape.

Yeeeah, I pretty much agree with what everyone is saying. If you're buying a car from a private seller, get their permission to take it to a mechanic of your choice before money is exchanged. If they don't agree, it's safe to say there's probably something wrong with it. YDI, and I hope you learned your lesson.