By offended - 07/04/2009 06:15 - United States

Today, I was putting the finishing touches on my portrait of a young boy in art class. I asked my teacher if she could help correct the bad parts of my portrait. She said, "Well that would take all day and I just don't have the time." She was serious. I thought this was my best work yet. FML
I agree, your life sucks 441
You deserved it 48

Top comments

maxson_fml 0
deliciouskaek 1

She shouldn't be teaching if she isn't going to be more constructive with her criticisms. =/

Comments

That's happened to me in drawing class. I was drawing a pear, and my teacher came up behind me and said "Why don't you try drawing a pear next time!"

woahcomments 0

wow what an awesome teacher...

Why does everyone side with the OP? Maybe it was good, but you made some mistakes. She would have had to talk about them, show you examples, and shown you how to do it correctly, which would take a while (even things like shadowing)

Be grateful. If there are a lot of mistakes, that means you can correct them and make it even better. You'll have to learn to take criticism and even insult to your work if you want to be an artist.

Yeah, but the whole point is to have guidance to correct mistakes. Which the teacher refused to give.

ohhhiiii 0

thats how some teachers are, esp art teachers.

Art is subjective and you dont have a great teacher, unless s/he was trying to get you to exercise a particular technique. Keep at it and forget about art teacher. Grades are largely participation and completion anyway, right?

foryoublue94 0

self-esteem murderer much? AVENGE YOUR SELF ESTEEM KILL HER

A good rule for when you think you've done your best work yet and have easily hurt feelings, is to not show it to anybody. Did you actually ask her to help you fix "the bad parts"? because, honestly, that's just asking for it. If this was high school, she was harsh, if this was post secondary, you need to get used to that. Are you sure you followed the criteria, or was this just something you were doing for fun? Look at it again and pick out particular mistakes, then ask another artist (someone who's gone to school for the technical aspect, preferably) how to fix those. Nothing is ever perfect, so just get rid of the glaring errors and go from there.

tiltwrestler 0

YDI for actually thinking that anybody in the world gives 2 sh*ts about your art, since you're only in high school/college. Stop being a weird emo nerd, stop going to "art class", stop being in Theater, and get ready for a real job! Its a recession! Thank you.