By HamSandwich12 - 08/05/2013 14:17 - United States - Cleveland

Today, I was leaving my doctor's appointment when a nurse stopped me. She exclaimed, "Wow you are so skinny! What's your secret?" My secret? Having an autoimmune disease. FML
I agree, your life sucks 54 807
You deserved it 3 377

HamSandwich12 tells us more.

I think I need to gain about 5 more pounds to look "healthy". I'm not even 100 pounds. It's impossible for me to gain weight with this disease!

Top comments

twilightriforce 10

Well at least she was throwing you a compliment. Her Not knowing your situation is unfortunate but don't let it get you down. Live life to its fullest OP. :)

I'm sorry OP, that must've hurt to be reminded of it even though the woman meant well. I know how it is to be told that you're too skinny, it's just as damaging as being called fat. You must look pretty good to be called out for it though! :)

Comments

yzzami 17

This world is too moody and serious. Laugh a little

Nope. Graves' Disease. It's a thyroid condition.

Coeliacchic93 21

I'm coeliac (in UK lol) with my coeliac I couldn't lose weight, seriously not a lb and I couldn't gain either but once I went gluten free I gained and now I've got more issues my weight is dropping, the immune system is a strange thing indeed!

If food and fat won't let you put on weight, what about gaining muscle ?

That's exactly what I'm doing! I work out everyday. It's working too - I've gained about 10 pounds since my diagnosis!

It's called Graves' Disease. It causes severe hyperthyroidism and lots of other annoying symptoms.

Carb diet. Eat only carbs. I'm the same way. Not the disease, but can't gain.

I totally feel you. I was a somewhat chubby 16 year old, and then I got all these sicknesses and ended up with Acid Reflux, losing over 40 pounds. People would be like, oh you look so great! Keep up the good work! And it would make me feel so mad, like, my 'work' is not being able to keep food down...thanks...

If you do gain weight make sure it healthy weight. Eat protein and gain muscle weight not fat.

Sydney_rain 5

I know exactly how you feel OP. I have a very high metabolism, and I am 86 pounds. Haven't gained weight sense last year? I also have an autoimmune disease to where my antibodies attack the tissue in my mouth causing ulcers, and the antibodies also attack my joints causing constant pain.

So sorry to hear that! I hope your condition is manageable. Best of luck to you! Stay strong!!

Me too, dude. I've had people accuse me of being anorexic. Nope. Crohn's Disease is just a bitch.

So I've heard. I saw a GI who thought I had Crohn's, but it turned out to be a thyroid problem instead. Not sure which is worse! Good luck to you!!

bellahorse 5

Can we talk about how OP's name is Ham Sandwich?

I thought I was the only one who noticed that lol