By HamSandwich12 - 08/05/2013 14:17 - United States - Cleveland

Today, I was leaving my doctor's appointment when a nurse stopped me. She exclaimed, "Wow you are so skinny! What's your secret?" My secret? Having an autoimmune disease. FML
I agree, your life sucks 54 807
You deserved it 3 377

HamSandwich12 tells us more.

I think I need to gain about 5 more pounds to look "healthy". I'm not even 100 pounds. It's impossible for me to gain weight with this disease!

Top comments

twilightriforce 10

Well at least she was throwing you a compliment. Her Not knowing your situation is unfortunate but don't let it get you down. Live life to its fullest OP. :)

I'm sorry OP, that must've hurt to be reminded of it even though the woman meant well. I know how it is to be told that you're too skinny, it's just as damaging as being called fat. You must look pretty good to be called out for it though! :)

Comments

Wow I'm sorry even if she didn't know about OP's problem she should have kept her mouth shut as by her asking that she inadvertently reminded OP of her problem and some of us want to forget we're sick even if its just for a day

By that logic we should never ever ask anyone about anything as it may bring up a bad memory unintentionally. It was a compliment given in good faith and with probably no bad intentions.

I'm not sure which bothers me more. The fact you had to put in that you were joking, or the fact that you got the syntax wrong for fake HTML. </joking>

Perception 6

And people still hit the YDI button...

rt567 15

at least the compliment had good intention

To everyone who said "at least she meant it as a complement" - No. In healthcare, weight loss is not considered a good sign unless the person is overweight and/or has been trying to lose weight. That means that if you don't know the patient's history Do. Not. Say. Anything. Everyone in healthcare knows that -- or should -- be they a doctor, a nurse, or the guy who transports you in a wheelchair from point a to point b.

monnanon 13

what if the nurse had never seen her before so didnt know it was a loss of weight or a gaun of weight for that matter, plus the fact that thr nurse felt safe enough to comment in such a way makes me think that she didnt see op as sick at all which is the real compliment. it was a daft thing for the nurse to say but with good intentions.

how exactly is that an FML? she obviously thought it was a good thin you were skinny op...at least your disease has a good side, too. Most severe diseases don't.

mansen 15

Sorry OP. I feel your pain and how it feels when people also start accusing of eating disorders etc too. Due to several horrid and severe rounds of pneumonia I lost more weight that was coupled with my essential medications that cause...weight loss and loss of appetite. And it is not that fabulous to struggle to keep weight and outward body appearance from plunging to skeletal gross appearance. Whenever anyone starts doing the overt gushing or accusing with me I just start enthusing about the wonderful pneumonia diet and coughing exercise routine. They usually get the sarcasm and leave it alone.

I get poofy sometimes from mine. But I think that comes from treatment roulette of not knowing what exactly it is. Hang in there op. :)

Shinara101 14

I have the same problem. Autoimmune diseases are awful.

Shinara101 14

Anemia, Rheumatoid arthritis, and anorexia (in rocovery!!!) so I understand completely. I don't even weigh 80 lbs.

monnanon 13

with all due respect you dont really as the op has an autoimmune disease not an eating disorder.

Arthritis is an auto immune disease... Google things before making assumptions, otherwise you look like an idiot :)

Good luck to you!! I hope you recover quickly!

Elfkid21 19

yeah.. that's my secret too... = (seriously.)