By axon Impulse - 06/07/2017 22:10

Today, I was fired. For no reason, at all. Literally. And it's totally legal. Thanks to my state being an "at will" employment state. FML
I agree, your life sucks 5 979
You deserved it 906

axon Impulse tells us more.

axon Impulse 9

OP, here. To clarify, there honestly was no reason for my dismissal. I did not sign anything, I had absolutely NO disciplinary actions against me, I did very well for the company (my position actually made money), and there was no "glaring personality flaw" (though, for me to insist that, I recognize the irony in not acknowledging my shortcomings, but I also have taken a true, objective stand back and reflected on this, and I am at a total loss as to what happened). Towards the end, the CEO and I we're not exactly seeing eye-to-eye, but I was not insubordinate and the company owners loved me. When I asked for a reason, I was told there was no reason, and even the paperwork submitted to the unemployment office stated there was no reason. So, in short, There. Was. No. Reason. This has been very difficult for me to wrap my head around and it has been hard trying to pick up the pieces. I honestly reflect every single day on what I did and what I can learn from this and how I can improve and move on. I have not had any closure and I have done my best to accept this and move forward with confidence. Thanks for the support from most of you, but also thanks for the reality slap from the rest of you. It reminds me that world may be cruel, but that I will still strive to be the best that I can be despite how others try to tear me down. I hope no one else has to experience this. Take care, FML family.

Top comments

There had to be a reason. It's inconvenient to hire and train a new person so if you're doing well, why fire you? Either you aren't doing well enough, you've rubbed someone the wrong way, or they simply don't need you any more and it'd be a waste of money keeping you round.

All 50 US states are employment-at-will states, unless you're covered by a collective bargaining agreement or some other contract (in writing, or, in a few states, implied). For example, if you are part of a unionized labor force and your collective bargaining agreement requires just cause or adjudication of disputes, that's an exception to the at-will employment rule.

Comments

All 50 US states are employment-at-will states, unless you're covered by a collective bargaining agreement or some other contract (in writing, or, in a few states, implied). For example, if you are part of a unionized labor force and your collective bargaining agreement requires just cause or adjudication of disputes, that's an exception to the at-will employment rule.

No. In Illinois it is illegal for any employer oyer to fire any employee without giving the employee proper reasons and following fair procedures (like warnings and chances to improve). This is whether there is a union or not. Illinois is a "cause" state.

mariri9206 32

It is legal in Illinois to fire someone for no reason because it is, in fact, an at-will state, not a cause state. Source: lived in Illinois for 23 years. You need to study your labor laws more, Tim.

Actually according to the national conference of state legislators, employment relationships are presumed to be “at-will” in all U.S. states except Montana. This of course is barring discrimination or other illegal things.

Illinois is most definitely NOT a "cause" state. The state's own Department of Labor describes its law as "at-will". I would know, since I live and work in the state myself and have studied its labor laws. It is true that Montana is now a "good cause" state. The study I read was older than the law on the books there.

mikeb728 2

Illinois is an at will state. They only need a reason to fire you if they don't want you to be eligible for unemployment benefits.

Sorry you lost your job, OP. Get a letter of reference and put together a good resumé, and no negative statements of any kind on it.

CrazyTrainWreck 19

Welcome to corporate America

There had to be a reason. It's inconvenient to hire and train a new person so if you're doing well, why fire you? Either you aren't doing well enough, you've rubbed someone the wrong way, or they simply don't need you any more and it'd be a waste of money keeping you round.

I work in an at-will state, and my boss once fired someone because she opened the door for him.

well clearly he didn't like her and that just pushed him over the edge.

been there. deff sucks. you feel so powerless

They may have fired you at will. For unemployment benifits they have to state why. did you sign the firing notice? if you did then you agreed to it. if you didnt then you got a good chance of getting benifits. Go down to your Workforce Solution to see what you can to to file a claim. Then go through the process. Good luck.

Most people sign something when they are let go. This does not deny you unemployment benefits and in most cases, helps your chances since it means you did not quit.

Oh, there was a reason -- they just don't have to tell you, so you can't contest it in court. You need to thank any and all middle- and working-class voters who have voted Republican in the past 37 years. They ****** you over, but ironically, they have ****** themselves over, either in the past or future.

because we expect good employees to perform their jobs? quit being a whiny victim.

couldn't agree with you more. It is very clear as to which people don't know that businesses run on being profitable and not good will.

tolkien897 15

no one owes you anything for being alive, man. I don't have to hand over my money to a guy who is down on his luck. that's life. Rich people are not required to give us poor people anything. they didn't make that money for us. the same way my money doesn't belong to anyone else.

Imagine wanting to run your own business efficiently! This is an outrage!

Wow tolkien897 your logic is so on point, except for being flawed in practically every way. First, do you really think that most 'rich people' didn't get rich off of the 'poor people' you reference like yourself? I'm sure the CEOs or owners of large companies like Walmart or say McDonald's don't make money by literally exploiting their workers. And yet of course they should get tax breaks because they're....rich... Secondly, he never says that we should all just blindly give our money away. He was pointing out that voting republican is really a vote to help people with large sums of money. They have enacted laws like at will employment to protect the boss from retaliation of exploiting said workers and then firing them for 'no reason'. How does that law help anyone but the one with the power already. Now, I'm not saying that an employer doesn't have every right to fire someone, but what is the harm in having to provide a valid reason for firing an employee. But like many you have fallen for the game the rich like to play by pitting you against other people who are struggling and make you think the reason your life is more difficult is because you may have to help out another human being at some point. All the while, they are getting richer by the minute and yet you seem pretty convinced that your fellow 'poor person' is out to get you because they would appreciate being given a reason for firing. Your right, they didn't make their money FOR us. They made it ON us. But you keep fighting their fight for them and keep spreading the judgement and hatred. I hope you never need help from anyone in your life since people in need are quite the drain on society.

Might be a good state for you to start your own business in. I wish you well.

it clearly wasn't for no reason. accept responsibility for your poor performance, or pior attendance, and move on. learn from it and do better at your next job.

Those are reasons and employees deserve to know them, either to be able to appeal such judgment or at least learn from the experience. Without cause, it is much more likely that she was fired for an illegal reason.

mariri9206 32

Just because OP was fired with no reason and no warning doesn't mean it was illegal. OP lives and works in an at-will state so they don't have to give a reason or warning.